Proof of U(pie(x)+(1-pie)y) > pie*U(x)+(1-pie)U(y) using sqrt property

In summary, to prove that U(pie(x)+(1-pie)y) > pie*U(x)+(1-pie)U(y) for U(w)=sqrt(w), we can square both sides and use the fact that (pi(x)+(1-pi)y) > pi^2*(x)+(1-pi)^2*(y) to show that sqrt(pie(x)+(1-pie)y) > pie*sqrt(x)+(1-pie)*sqrt(y). This is a proof that the square root function is concave.

Homework Statement

For U(w)=sqrt(w), prove that U(pie(x)+(1-pie)y) > pie*U(x)+(1-pie)U(y)

Homework Equations

sqrt(x)=x^(1/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have:

sqrt(pie(x)+(1-pie)y) > pie*sqrt(x)+(1-pie)sqrt(y) so...

(pie(x)+(1-pie)y)^(1/2) > pie*(x)^1/2+(1-pie)(y)^1/2

From here I don't know where to go. I don't have much experience with proofs so can anyone give some guidance? Thanks for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Try squaring both sides.

alright, then (pi(x)+(1-pi)y) > pi^2*(x)+(1-pi)^2*(y). Therefore pi+(1-pi)>(pi^2)+((1-pi)^2)
=1 > (pi^2)+((1-pi)^2)
=1-(pi^2)>(1-pi)^2

Is this sufficient? What I don't quite get is that if you then square both sides, don't you get sqrt((1-(pi^2))) > sqrt((1-pi)^2)

=sqrt(1)-pi > (1-pi)
=1-pi > 1-pi ?? This obviously can't be right, so where did I go wrong? Thanks again.

Here "pi" is NOT the usual "pi", it is a number between 0 and 1, right? This is essentially a proof that the square root function is concave.

yes exactly, sorry for not making that clear before.

1. What is the purpose of proofs in scientific research?

Proofs are used to provide evidence and support for a scientific claim or theory. They help to establish the validity and reliability of research findings, and can also be used to identify potential errors or biases in the data.

2. How do scientists develop and test proofs?

Scientists use a combination of deductive and inductive reasoning to develop and test proofs. Deductive reasoning involves starting with a general theory or hypothesis and using logical steps to arrive at a specific conclusion. Inductive reasoning involves starting with specific observations and using them to develop a general theory or hypothesis.

3. What is the difference between a proof and a theory?

A proof is a specific set of evidence or logical steps used to support a claim or theory. A theory, on the other hand, is a broad explanation or framework that has been supported by multiple proofs and has withstood scientific scrutiny. Proofs are used to support theories, but they are not the same thing.

4. How do scientists ensure the validity of their proofs?

Scientists use a variety of methods to ensure the validity of their proofs, including peer review, replication of experiments, and statistical analyses. They also strive to be transparent and thorough in their methods and data collection to minimize potential biases and errors.

5. Can a proof ever be considered "final" in science?

No, a proof can never be considered final in science. Scientific knowledge is constantly evolving, and new evidence or alternative explanations may arise that challenge previously accepted proofs. Scientists must always be open to reexamining and revising their beliefs based on new evidence.