Experiment - Cartesian diver

In summary, the conversation discusses a language barrier issue when discussing the experiment of a Cartesian diver using heads of matches. The question is raised about why the heats of matches do not all go down at the same time, and the answer is given that the less buoyant heats of matches will go down first due to their need to suck less water in the pores of the wood. The reason for the initial difference in buoyancy is unknown without a deeper understanding of the experiment.
Oomph!
Hello.
I think that you know an experiment called Cartesian diver.
I can use some heads of matches like Castesian divers like there:
I know how it works. However, I don't know why the heats of matches don't go down in some moment, but first one, then second with bigger force, then third with bigger force.
The pressure is on each places same, yes? So, every heat of match suck same number of watter to poores of wood. So, why they don't go down in some moment? What decide about order of matches?

Thank you very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh boy, it seems we have a language barrier problem here. I too know how a Cartesian diver works, but not one that involves "heats of matches". I can guess that the heats of matches go down in some order and at the sme moment because the ones that go down first need to suck less water in the pores of the wood. In other words, the less buoyant heats of matches will go down ahead of the more buoyant ones. As to why some heats of matches are initially more buoyant than others, I have no clue without an understanding of why a heat of match behaves as a Cartesian diver.

1. What is a Cartesian diver experiment?

A Cartesian diver experiment is an experiment that demonstrates the principles of buoyancy and pressure. It involves submerging a small, air-filled object in a container of water and observing its ability to sink and float based on changes in pressure.

2. What materials are needed for a Cartesian diver experiment?

The materials needed for a Cartesian diver experiment include a plastic bottle or jar, a small plastic figurine or pipette, water, and a source of pressure such as a syringe or squeeze bottle.

3. How does a Cartesian diver work?

A Cartesian diver works by utilizing the principles of buoyancy and pressure. When the plastic figurine or pipette is filled with air and submerged in water, the air inside is compressed due to the surrounding pressure. This causes the overall density of the object to increase, making it sink. When pressure is released, the air expands and the object becomes less dense, causing it to float back to the surface.

4. What factors can affect the behavior of a Cartesian diver?

The behavior of a Cartesian diver can be affected by several factors, such as the size and weight of the object, the amount of air inside, and the amount of pressure applied. The depth and temperature of the water can also have an impact on the experiment.

5. What real-world applications does the Cartesian diver experiment have?

The principles demonstrated in the Cartesian diver experiment have real-world applications in fields such as engineering, marine biology, and scuba diving. Understanding the concepts of buoyancy and pressure is essential for designing and operating various underwater structures and vehicles, as well as studying the behavior of marine animals. This experiment also highlights the importance of air pressure in activities such as scuba diving, where changes in pressure can have significant effects on the body.