Experiment evidence for E=MC^2

In summary, there are a few different types of experimental evidence for Einstein's famous E=MC^2 equation. One type is nuclear fission, which can occur in both man-made fission bombs and natural processes like fusion in stars. Other types of evidence include particle accelerators and experiments with alpha decay, which demonstrate the conversion of mass into energy. However, it is important to note that there are some instances when E=MC^2 does not hold, such as when a body is under stress.
Brewer
I have a question that asks for experimental evidence for Einsteins famous E=MC^2 equation that isn't from an astrophysics, but the only evidence I can think of is nuclear fission, but I'm sure this occurs in stars in some way. Would this count as evidence that isn't from astrophysics or would you suggest another type of evidence to satisfy the question?

Any hints as to what the other evidence might be?

Physics news on Phys.org
Fission isn't normally done in stars. Particle accelerators also provide evidence both of conversion of matter to energy and the other side of the coin: the inertia gained with energy.

No I realized that after a further read through my textbook. Its fusion in stars!

Thanks though

Brewer said:
I have a question that asks for experimental evidence for Einsteins famous E=MC^2 equation that isn't from an astrophysics, but the only evidence I can think of is nuclear fission, but I'm sure this occurs in stars in some way. Would this count as evidence that isn't from astrophysics or would you suggest another type of evidence to satisfy the question?
Any hints as to what the other evidence might be?
The fission and fussion bombs that have been detonated in this world are pretty good examples of the relationship E = mc2 holding true.

Pete

Note: There are instances of when E = mc2 does not hold, e.g. when a body is under stress.

in experiments with alpha decay, the "missing" mass from the remaining particle is transformed into gamma rays via E=mc^2

simon009988 said:
in experiments with alpha decay, the "missing" mass from the remaining particle is transformed into gamma rays via E=mc^2
..which is an example of fission (although some people don't like to define the term "fission" in that way - but I do).

It should be noted that mass is conserved in these examples (i.e. "relativistic mass" is conserved)

Pete

1. What is the experiment evidence for E=MC^2?

The most well-known experiment that provides evidence for E=MC^2 is the famous mass-energy equivalence formula proposed by Albert Einstein in his theory of relativity. This experiment showed that mass and energy are two forms of the same entity and are interchangeable. In simple terms, it means that a small amount of mass can be converted into a large amount of energy.

2. How was the experiment evidence for E=MC^2 obtained?

The experiment was obtained through various scientific experiments and observations, including Einstein's famous thought experiment involving a man standing on a moving train and throwing a ball. This thought experiment led to the discovery of the mass-energy equivalence formula and provided strong evidence for E=MC^2.

3. What other experiments support the idea of E=MC^2?

Aside from Einstein's thought experiment, other experiments have also provided evidence for E=MC^2. One example is the nuclear fission reaction, where a small amount of mass is converted into a large amount of energy. Another is the creation of particles in high-energy particle accelerators, which also demonstrates the conversion of mass into energy.

4. How does E=MC^2 relate to the concept of mass-energy equivalence?

E=MC^2 is the mathematical representation of the mass-energy equivalence concept. It shows the relationship between mass and energy, stating that they are two forms of the same entity and are equivalent to each other.

5. Why is understanding the experiment evidence for E=MC^2 important?

Understanding the experiment evidence for E=MC^2 is crucial because it helps us understand the fundamental principles of the universe. It also has significant implications in various fields of science, such as nuclear energy, particle physics, and astrophysics. Furthermore, E=MC^2 has been proven to be one of the most reliable and accurate equations in the history of science, making it essential for furthering our understanding of the universe.