Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Experiment evidence for E=MC^2

1. Nov 16, 2005 #1
    I have a question that asks for experimental evidence for Einsteins famous E=MC^2 equation that isn't from an astrophysics, but the only evidence I can think of is nuclear fission, but I'm sure this occurs in stars in some way. Would this count as evidence that isn't from astrophysics or would you suggest another type of evidence to satisfy the question?

Any hints as to what the other evidence might be?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2005 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Fission isn't normally done in stars. Particle accelerators also provide evidence both of conversion of matter to energy and the other side of the coin: the inertia gained with energy.

4. Nov 16, 2005 #3
    No I realised that after a further read through my textbook. Its fusion in stars!

Thanks though

5. Nov 16, 2005 #4
    The fission and fussion bombs that have been detonated in this world are pretty good examples of the relationship E = mc2 holding true.

Pete

Note: There are instances of when E = mc2 does not hold, e.g. when a body is under stress.

6. Nov 16, 2005 #5
    in experiments with alpha decay, the "missing" mass from the remaining particle is transformed into gamma rays via E=mc^2

7. Nov 16, 2005 #6
    ..which is an example of fission (although some people don't like to define the term "fission" in that way - but I do).

It should be noted that mass is conserved in these examples (i.e. "relativistic mass" is conserved)

Pete

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?