Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Experiment: investigating E field btw plates using a charged foil strip

1. Mar 23, 2005 #1
    Experiment: investigating E field btw parallel plates using a charged foil strip

In the expt., E field was set up between 2 parallel plates and a positively charged foil was placed at the middle in between. The EHT supply was adjusted so that the foil deflected 45deg for different chosen plates separation.
    A graph of voltage against separation was plotted and by theory, it should pass thr. origin. However, my graph has a -ve y-intercept and i can't think of a reason for it.

My questions:
    What does a -ve voltage mean?

Could it mean the plates had resistance? (since at zero separation, ie the plates touch each other, there's a -ve voltage(energy change) across it)

What does the +ve x-intercept of it mean? At a certain separation, p.d. across the plates is zero?

Does the slope of the curve still mean the field strength between the plates?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted