Setting Up an Experiment to Test Efficiency of Old Thermos

• Thread starter spl3001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiment
In summary, the person is looking to conduct an experiment on the efficiency of an old thermos. They have already done a basic experiment but now they are looking for a specific type of thermometer that can record temperature for 24 hours at regular intervals. They are seeking design ideas and have been suggested to check out Omega for sensor/DAQ setups.
spl3001
This is kind of a specific question relating to an experiment I'd like to setup.

I have an old thermos, and I thought it would be interesting to see how efficient it is at insulating its contents. I did an ad hoc experiment using boiling water and a candy thermometer, but I only sampled the water twice with any accuracy.

What I would like to know is there such a thing as a small water proof/resistant, heat resistant, time-interval recording thermometer? Just some small device that would record the temperature for 24 hours or so at some interval. I have no idea where to look for something like that. Any design ideas would be appreciated as well.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your experiment idea with us. It is certainly interesting to investigate the efficiency of an old thermos. To set up this experiment, there are a few key components that you will need: a waterproof/resistant thermometer, a heat source, a control group, and a data recording system.

Regarding your question about a small waterproof/resistant, heat resistant, time-interval recording thermometer, there are actually many options available on the market. One possibility is a digital data logger thermometer that is specifically designed for temperature monitoring and recording. These devices are usually compact, waterproof, and can record data at set intervals for a certain period of time. You can search for "digital data logger thermometer" online to find various options that fit your needs and budget.

As for the design of the experiment, here are some suggestions:

1. Control group: It is important to have a control group to compare the results of your old thermos. You can use a new thermos as the control group, or if you have access to multiple old thermos, you can use them as different control groups to see if there are any variations in efficiency among them.

2. Heat source: You can use boiling water as the heat source, as you did in your ad hoc experiment. However, to ensure consistency, it is recommended to use a heat plate or stove to heat the water to the same temperature each time.

3. Data recording: As mentioned earlier, a digital data logger thermometer is a good option for recording temperature data over a period of time. You can also manually record the temperature at set intervals using a regular thermometer and a timer.

4. Sample size: To get more accurate results, it is recommended to repeat the experiment with multiple trials and increase the sample size. This will help to reduce the impact of any outliers or variations in the data.

5. Variables to consider: In addition to the efficiency of the thermos, there are other variables that can affect the results, such as the starting temperature of the water, the ambient temperature, and the insulation properties of the environment in which the thermos is placed. It is important to control these variables as much as possible to ensure accurate results.

I hope these suggestions are helpful in setting up your experiment. Good luck!

What is the purpose of testing the efficiency of an old thermos?

The purpose of testing the efficiency of an old thermos is to determine if it is still capable of keeping liquids hot or cold for an extended period of time. This is important for ensuring the safety and quality of the contents inside the thermos.

What materials and equipment are needed for setting up this experiment?

The materials and equipment needed for setting up an experiment to test the efficiency of an old thermos include: an old thermos, a thermometer, hot and cold liquids, a stopwatch, and a controlled environment for testing.

What is the procedure for conducting this experiment?

The procedure for conducting this experiment involves filling the old thermos with hot or cold liquid, recording the starting temperature, sealing the thermos, and then measuring the temperature at regular intervals using the thermometer. The experiment should be conducted in a controlled environment to minimize external factors that may affect the results.

What are the potential sources of error in this experiment?

The potential sources of error in this experiment include inaccurate temperature measurements, variations in the temperature of the environment, and human error in recording data. It is important to take multiple readings and average them to reduce the impact of these potential errors.

What are the factors that can affect the efficiency of an old thermos?

The efficiency of an old thermos can be affected by various factors such as the quality of its insulation, the condition of the seal, and the material of the thermos. Other factors that may affect its efficiency include the temperature of the environment and the type of liquid being stored.