Experiment shows the weight of confirmation bias

I'm afraid I cannot provide a summary for this conversation as it does not pertain to the topic at hand.
SGT
A recent experiment shows how people can be fooled and see patterns where there is none.
The subjects were to play a computer game and score points. Unbeknownst to them, the points were attributed randomly.
A group scored 33% of the time and the other 66%. After the experiment, the participants were asked to suggest winning strategies for new players. All of them, even those that scored poorly, were able to make suggestions.
That is what happens in most paranormal experiences. People think they see causality between phenomena, even if there is nothing.
This is not a proof that paranormal phenomena don't exist, but shows how much we must take care in order to not confound correlation with causality.

Physics news on Phys.org
SGT said:
That is what happens in most paranormal experiences.

Im afraid this statement is not backed up by the results of that experiment.

PIT2 said:
Im afraid this statement is not backed up by the results of that experiment.
Could you elaborate on that?

What does making suggestions have to do with paranormal activity?

Pengwuino said:
"Making suggestions" meant the people in the study were convinced they had perceived a winning strategy. In fact, no such strategy existed. The game was rigged to be random.
SGT said:
That is what happens in most paranormal experiences. People think they see causality between phenomena, even if there is nothing.
One example of this I can think of is when a person sees what they assume to be a ghost in a house, and then goes looking for someone in the house' history who is dead and may fit the "apparition". If they find someone who seems to fit, it confirms their belief they've seen a ghost.

Well how is that paranormal? Just sounds like impressionable humans being fooled with.

Pengwuino said:
Well how is that paranormal?
How is what paranormal?

SGT said:
That is what happens in most paranormal experiences.

grrr, message too short >:(

I also fail to see a how people developing a winning strategy{either useful or not} has to do with the paranormal. I see nothing to suggest that it does.

hypatia said:
I also fail to see a how people developing a winning strategy{either useful or not} has to do with the paranormal. I see nothing to suggest that it does.

confirmation bias
Address:http://skepdic.com/confirmbias.html

You don't see confirmation bias at work in any explorations of the paranormal?

Last edited:
Oh so we're talking about how we percieve possible paranormal activity. I thought you were trying to say confirmation bias is somehow related to actual paranormal activity.

Pengwuino said:
Oh so we're talking about how we percieve possible paranormal activity.
This is correct.

I didn't find SGTs transition from one to the other to be nearly as obscure as other people did:

Perhaps I'm more used to his writing style, though.

I'd agree that confirmation bias probably plays a role in many reports of paranormal phenomena. However, I'm not sure the referenced study is the best means of demonstrating confirmation bias. In a way, the experiment seems rigged (beningly) to creating confirmation bias. It depends on how exactly the subject tasks were conducted and what questions they were asked, but it looks like there might be a priming effect here. If a subject participates in a study like this where he is given a task to do and then asked to derive relavent rules, he might expect that such rules already exist, and thus be more likely to look for and produce them.

hypnagogue said:
It depends on how exactly the subject tasks were conducted and what questions they were asked, but it looks like there might be a priming effect here. If a subject participates in a study like this where he is given a task to do and then asked to derive relavent rules, he might expect that such rules already exist, and thus be more likely to look for and produce them.
It seems to me, though, that just such priming takes place outside the lab all the time in the form of paranormal lore. People are primed to explore a paranormal explanation for a certain class of strange experiences, by stories that are passed around, movies, and books.

zoobyshoe said:
It seems to me, though, that just such priming takes place outside the lab all the time in the form of paranormal lore. People are primed to explore a paranormal explanation for a certain class of strange experiences, by stories that are passed around, movies, and books.

Quite true.

Pengwuino said:
I am reading your post only now. Zoobieshoe has beaten me in the explanations. He has understood my post and the objective of the experiment.
The experiment has nothing to do with paranormality. It only intended to show that people are prone to the Post Hoc fallacy: if an event follows some other, people tend to attribute a relationship of cause and effect between them. In the experiment people scored after taking some action, so they concluded that the action caused the scoring.
In the same way, you have a dream that you remember in the morning. In one day, one week, or a month, something happens that seems to confirm your dream. So, you think you had a prophetic dream.
I apologize if my original post was not clear enough. English is only my third language, so I don't ever expose my reasoning in a clear manner.

zoobyshoe said:

Yes, and in many cases the interpretations are reasonble considering the experiences claimed, but there is no doubt: Most people don't make good scientists.

I know of a guy who prays to Thor. I met another who thought he was a chicken. I met another guy who thought every plane seen was a UFO, but these are hardly fair examples of the average person. Heck, I know of one guy who fell for the "I am from Venus" line. :biggrin:

hypnagogue said:
Quite true.

However the context for each of the two situations is completely different. Most people don't believe everything that they read or hear, but I think most would be led to particular expectations in a clinical setting.

1. What is confirmation bias?

Confirmation bias is the tendency for people to seek out and interpret information in a way that confirms their preexisting beliefs or hypotheses.

2. How does confirmation bias affect scientific experiments?

Confirmation bias can lead to researchers unintentionally biasing their studies by selecting or interpreting data in a way that supports their desired outcome or hypothesis. This can result in inaccurate or unreliable results.

3. How can scientists avoid confirmation bias in their experiments?

Scientists can avoid confirmation bias by carefully designing their experiments and methods to reduce the potential for bias. This can include using randomized controlled trials, blind studies, and involving multiple researchers in the data analysis process.

4. Why is confirmation bias a problem in scientific research?

Confirmation bias can lead to inaccurate or flawed conclusions, which can have serious consequences in the scientific community. It can also perpetuate false information and hinder the progress of scientific knowledge.

5. Can confirmation bias be completely eliminated in scientific experiments?

While it is difficult to completely eliminate confirmation bias, scientists can take steps to minimize its impact on their research. This includes being aware of potential biases, actively seeking out opposing evidence, and remaining open-minded throughout the research process.