Experiment Suggestions For Friction and Momentum

In summary: In summary, a potential experiment that links the topics of momentum and friction to a real-life situation is a demonstration inspired by tractor pulling racing. The experiment would involve a cart being pushed with a sled mechanism that gradually increases friction with the ground. By comparing the results of the cart with minimum, maximum, and variable friction configurations, the relationship between momentum and friction can be explored. This experiment could also include photos of actual tractor pulling events to enhance the lab report.
physicsguru97
Hey does anyone have any good suggestions for an experiment for both of these topics momentum and friction? Because I'm currently doing a physics investigated research task that's about if you go a KM over or mile over it is worse. so i need to do some investigating that links the two topics to a real life situation. i was think for friction about using some type of device car I'm not sure so someone suggest something to go at a constant velocity and make it stop at a distance like a car accident and change the surface of the flooring but i don't know what to use to make a toy car or something else to a constant velocity

Physics news on Phys.org
physicsguru97 said:
Hey does anyone have any good suggestions for an experiment for both of these topics momentum and friction? Because I'm currently doing a physics investigated research task that's about if you go a KM over or mile over it is worse. so i need to do some investigating that links the two topics to a real life situation. i was think for friction about using some type of device car I'm not sure so someone suggest something to go at a constant velocity and make it stop at a distance like a car accident and change the surface of the flooring but i don't know what to use to make a toy car or something else to a constant velocity

One thought comes to mind. I'm not sure it fits exactly, but it could probably be modified to fit your criteria.

In "Tractor Pulling" racing, the sled pulled behind the high-performance tractors has a mechanism that gradually increases the friction of the sled with the dirt track as the tractor makes it farther down its run. That makes it harder and harder to pull, due to the increasing friction. To achieve a "full pull", the tractor has to have enough power being delivered to the dirt through its rear wheels in order to keep pulling the sled in its maximum friction configuration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tractor_pull

Now, you might be able to do an unpowered demonstration version of this, where you give a cart an initial push, and there is a sled mechanism in contact with the ground. You could contrast how far the cart & sled get when the sled is in the minimum friction position the whole time, versus in the maximum friction position the whole time, versus the variable friction configuration...

You could also put some cool photos in your lab report, showing the inspiration for your lab demonstration... :smile:

[Broken]
http://www.farmmachineryshow.org/images/TractorPullPhotos/pull1.jpg [Broken]

kids%20pedal%20tractor%20pull%202006%201.jpg

http://www.clarksd.com/potato/images/kids%20pedal%20tractor%20pull%202006%201.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the relationship between friction and momentum?

Friction is the force that resists motion between two surfaces in contact, while momentum is the measure of an object's motion. The greater the friction between two surfaces, the more it will slow down or stop an object's momentum.

2. How can we measure the effects of friction on momentum?

One method is to conduct an experiment where objects of different weights are rolled down a ramp with different surface textures. The time it takes for each object to reach the bottom of the ramp can be recorded to measure the effects of friction on momentum.

3. What are some factors that can influence friction and momentum?

The texture and material of the surfaces in contact, the weight and speed of the object, and the presence of any lubricants can all influence the amount of friction and momentum in a system.

4. Can friction ever be beneficial for momentum?

Yes, friction can be beneficial for momentum in certain situations. For example, the friction between a car's tires and the road allows it to accelerate and maintain its momentum while driving.

5. How can we reduce friction to increase momentum?

One way to reduce friction is by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces. Another method is to use smoother or more slippery materials for the surfaces in contact. Additionally, reducing the weight of an object can also decrease the amount of friction and increase its momentum.