Experiment to determine coefficient of discharge

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's project on modeling depressurization of gas through an outlet. They mention finding a helpful link for the Rasouli and Williams model and their current problem of determining the coefficient of discharge C for the chamber. The speaker plans to perform an experiment to determine C and asks if using an arbitrary area would yield accurate results and if using water instead of air is acceptable. It is confirmed that the experiment can be done with water and the result for C would be applicable to any sized opening as long as the chamber material remains the same.
seek
I'm currently working on a project that requires me to model depressurization of a gas through an outlet. I need to find the time for complete depressurization of a pressurized chamber as a function of opening cross-sectional area A. I scoured the forums, and found the extremely helpful link pointing to the Rasouli and Williams model. (http://air-dispersion.com/feature2.html)

The only problem I now have is determining the coefficient of discharge C. The material we're using for the chamber will either be steel or a type of polyethylene. To determine C, I'd like to perform this experiment: http://mysite.du.edu/~jcalvert/tech/fluids/orifice.htm

My only question is this, if the actual area of the opening for the chamber has yet to be determined, would I still yield an accurate result for C using an arbitrary area in the experiment? That is, would the value of C yielded by the experiment apply to any sized opening so long as the material used remains constant? Also the chamber is being designed for air, but using water in the experiment should be fine as there is made no reference specifically to the type of fluid, correct?

Thank you for any help, it is greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, the result for C would apply to any sized opening as long as the material of the chamber remains constant. The experiment can be performed with water since the coefficient of discharge does not depend on the type of fluid used.

1. What is the coefficient of discharge?

The coefficient of discharge is a dimensionless factor that represents the efficiency of a fluid flowing through a certain device, such as a pipe or nozzle. It is often denoted as Cd and can range from 0 to 1, with a higher value indicating a more efficient flow.

2. Why is it important to determine the coefficient of discharge?

Knowing the coefficient of discharge is crucial for accurately predicting the flow rate and pressure drop in a system. It also allows for the comparison of different devices and their efficiency in fluid flow.

3. What is the procedure for conducting an experiment to determine the coefficient of discharge?

The experiment typically involves measuring the volume of water flowing through a device at different flow rates and pressures. These values are then used to calculate the coefficient of discharge using the Bernoulli's equation or other relevant equations.

4. What are some common sources of error in determining the coefficient of discharge?

Some common sources of error include inaccuracies in measuring equipment, variations in temperature and density of the fluid, and frictional losses in the system. It is important to carefully control these variables and take multiple measurements to minimize error.

5. How can the coefficient of discharge be improved?

The coefficient of discharge can be improved by optimizing the design of the device and minimizing any sources of energy loss, such as sharp edges or rough surfaces. Additionally, using a higher viscosity fluid or a laminar flow regime can also improve the efficiency of the device.