Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Experiment What would you do?

1. Sep 15, 2003 #1
    I know this could probably go under the homework help zone, but it isn't homework, I'm just curios. I'm doing some research (Science fair project to be exact) on a new theory of light called the Aumic Theory. If you are interested in new theories that defy old theories (looking for a good read) here is the site for the new aumic theory: http://www.geocities.com/natureoflight/

I was wondering if there is a way to detect and measure how fast an EM field around a conductor repulses after the current's polarity has been reversed in the conductor?

If you are up for a challenge, here is another question for you:

What experiment would you do to prove this theory?

Paden Roder
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here's my friendly recommendation: do not do a science fair project on this steaming pile of bear ****. I read the first third of the page. I got to the point where the author describes his view that the reason a light bulb glows is because photons are carrying electricity through its filament, **** myself laughing, and closed the window. You should do the same, and try to do a project on something with SOME scientific merit.

- Warren
  4. Sep 15, 2003 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Normally, I would do ANYTHING to avoid agreeing with chroot, but in this case... Well, I didn't actually **** myself reading the website (I have better control than that) but surely one of the things the judges of the science fare will grading on is the ability to distinguish SCIENCE from non-sense.
  5. Sep 15, 2003 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Aww c'mon, I'm a fungi.

- Warren
  6. Sep 16, 2003 #5
    Go back to the chemistry forums. Yeah, and all of our elementary particles are made up of 1-d strings. Yeah, that would be the day......:wink:

That's why they call it a theory. :wink:

:wink: = sarcasm
  7. Sep 16, 2003 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you really want me to list all of the things this person says that are in direct conflict with experimental evidence?

- Warren
  8. Sep 16, 2003 #7

Staff: Mentor

Is that why my TV doesn't work? The electron gun is....... oh wait, its just switched off at the power strip. N/m.
  9. Sep 16, 2003 #8

Do you want to say why you disagree with string theory? (And even then, there is always the alternative of LQG.)
  10. Sep 17, 2003 #9
    No, I agree totally with superstring theory. It was a sarcastic remark. Another is: We landed on the moon.
    Paden Roder
  11. Sep 17, 2003 #10
    Someone, I think it was Maxwell,
    already figured this out. Electro-
    magnetic fields propagate at the
    speed of light. Whereever there is
    current flowing, an EM field is
    being propagated from it at C.

Current travels alot slower, though. The delay you might measure between switching polari-
    ties and seeing a change in the
    polarity of the magnetic field
    would be much more the result
    of the speed of the electric
    impulse through the conductor, than the speed of propagation of
    the magnetic field.

Now, you mention a science fair,
    and you mention repulsion, which
    gives me the idea you are thinking
    of some sort of demonstration of
    the delay between the flick of a
    switch and two electromagnets
    repelling each other, or one
    electromagnet repelling a perman-
    ent magnet.

If that is the case the question
    is much bigger than the time it
    takes for the current to get
    through the circuit. There would
    be all kinds of other consider-
    ations to bring into the account:
    friction, inertia, the strength
    of the fields, the elastic proper-
    ties of the fields, the distance
    you want the repulsion to move
    something, etc. It's a real
    engineering problem.
  12. Sep 17, 2003 #11

But there is a difference here, as superstrings if derived from what we observe, and makes testable predictions. The linked theory hwoever begins from incorrect assumptions. (for a start, it says the EPR paradox requires superluminal transmission of information, which is untrue.)
  13. Sep 18, 2003 #12
    Good point. I never caught that remark. Like in the Einstein discussion, he changed the facts to fit the theory. I'll ask him what he thinks about this.
    Paden Roder
  14. Oct 24, 2003 #13
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?