• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Experimental measure of volume

• Thread starter arjose
  • Start date

Homework Statement

How does one experimentally measure an irregular object's volume given that said object floats on water?

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems to me that the simplest solution to this is to submerge the whole object by pressing down on it to the point that only the object is submerged. I'm thinking that the volume of displaced water would equate to the volume of said object, regardless of densities or forces being applied. Am I correct?

Answers and Replies

cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Homework Statement

How does one experimentally measure an irregular object's volume given that said object floats on water?

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems to me that the simplest solution to this is to submerge the whole object by pressing down on it to the point that only the object is submerged. I'm thinking that the volume of displaced water would equate to the volume of said object, regardless of densities or forces being applied. Am I correct?
Yeah, that's correct. The volume occupied by the submerged object was previously occupied by water.

Yeah, that's correct. The volume occupied by the submerged object was previously occupied by water.
Thank you for verifying that.

Or, perhaps find some other fluid that the material is more dense than, say petrol or similar?

Or, perhaps find some other fluid that the material is more dense than, say petrol or similar?
Haven't thought of it that way. Makes sense though. Any other fluid that's less dense than water should do the trick of submerging the object. Thanks for that.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
If you press the object down under the water, you must take into account the volume of whatever you are pressing it down with! You might want to use something very thin, like a needle but then it becomes difficult to hit the exact center.