Experimental Proofs of Special Relativity: Myons, Bertozzi & More

In summary: I'm not sure if what you're asking has been covered in depth, but I can point you in the right direction.
philipp2020
Hi

Im new in this Forum. I am from Switzerland, in the first year of Physics at University. Please forgive some mistakes I might will make in english

I read a little bit in advance for the next years about the SRT and its relation to other fields of study.

Basically I wanted to know about past experiments which proofed about the highest speed possible. I read about the experiment by W. Bertozzi in the 60th, who accelerated electrons by an electric field generated by a Van de Graaf Generator.

Then there is this experiment with Myons un- and accelerated: If they decay to gamma rays, both gamma rays, from the accelerated and not accelerated myons have the same speed.

Which other significant experiments exists beside those? Could anyone give me some information about that?

And just for my understanding: If I have, for example a space ship, traveling half the velocity of light trough space. Then inside the spaceship I send a light ray in vacuum from the back to the front of the the ship, this light doesn't travel 1.5 times the speed of light, according to the special theorie of relativity?? Is this because, also according to SRT, the spaceship traveling 0.5 c, already constructs a big time deletation, when looking at the spaceship from outside?

So basically, the fundament of the SRT is, that the highest speed possible is detirmined by the speed of light? If this fundament wouldn't be true, SRT also couldn't be stand out?

Thanks for some answers

Greetings

Philipp

Physics news on Phys.org
See the references in http://www.physics.adelaide.edu.au/~dkoks/Faq/Relativity/SR/experiments.html (from the Usenet Physics FAQ)

ok, thanks very much for the link. maybe just what I was looking for. I will read it next day.

further, may I ask again about the thing I asked about the spaceship traveling half the speed of light etc? Is this right what I was writing in my opening thread?

yes, two relative velocities combine not simply by adding:

[tex]u = u' + v[/tex]

but rather, in such a way that the result can never exceed c:

[tex]u = \frac {u' + v}{1 + (u'v/c^2)}[/tex]

Look up "relativistic velocity addition" or "relativistic composition of velocities" in your textbooks or on a search engine.

1. What is the significance of the Myons experiment in proving special relativity?

The Myons experiment, conducted by Albert Einstein and Leó Szilárd in 1939, provided one of the first experimental proofs of special relativity. By measuring the half-life of myons, a type of subatomic particle, as they traveled at high speeds, Einstein and Szilárd were able to confirm the time dilation predicted by special relativity.

2. How does the Bertozzi experiment support the concept of length contraction in special relativity?

The Bertozzi experiment, conducted in 1964, involved measuring the speed of electrons as they traveled through a linear accelerator. By comparing the observed speed of the electrons to their theoretical speed, researchers were able to confirm the phenomenon of length contraction, where objects appear shorter when moving at high speeds.

3. What is the difference between experimental evidence and theoretical evidence in proving special relativity?

Experimental evidence refers to actual measurements and observations made in a controlled setting, while theoretical evidence involves mathematical calculations and predictions based on established theories. In the context of special relativity, experiments such as the Myons and Bertozzi experiments provide direct evidence for the principles of special relativity, while theoretical evidence helps to support and explain these experimental results.

4. Can special relativity be proven without relying on experimental evidence?

No, special relativity cannot be proven without experimental evidence. While the theory itself is based on mathematical equations and logical reasoning, experimental results are necessary to confirm and validate its principles. Without experimental evidence, special relativity would remain an unproven hypothesis.

5. Are there any other experiments besides the Myons and Bertozzi experiments that support special relativity?

Yes, there have been numerous experiments conducted over the years that have provided evidence for special relativity. Some notable examples include the Fizeau experiment, which confirmed the constancy of the speed of light, and the Hafele-Keating experiment, which demonstrated the effects of time dilation and gravitational time dilation.