Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Experimental Shear Modulus and Poisson Ratio

1. Feb 18, 2017 #1
    I'm designing a 'thing' for my masters project, which has to be 3D printed. I've designed this in Inventor, but it doesn't have PLA (Polylactic Acid), so I've been using Inventor's PMMA (Perspex) thus far. I want to get more accurate figures, so I've had a 1 cm3 block printed to get an exact density. I'm also printing tensile test specimens so we can get a Young's modulus.

To properly define the material, Inventor needs a shear modulus and the Poisson ration.

In our course we've never determined these experimentally.

So my question is, how do I determine the shear modulus and Poisson ration experimentally?

Thanks in advance!!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2017 #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted