Enhancing Ball Mass in Air Jet Experiments: Tips and Techniques

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of monitoring the height a ball gains in an air jet, specifically using Ping-Pong balls and varying the mass of the ball while keeping the air jet velocity at 20ms. The idea of using paint to increase the mass is brought up, but it is noted that this may affect the results due to an increase in diameter. Another suggestion is to use hollow spheres with varying internal diameters. The use of a squash ball is also considered, with the assumption that the air jet velocity will provide enough upward force for the ball to maintain a height. The question of the equation to describe the height difference between the Ping-Pong ball and the squash ball is also raised, with the suggestion of using F=
skin
Monitoring the height a ball gains in an air jet.

Using Ping-Pong Balls and I'd like to keep the air jet velocity (20ms) while varying the mass of the ball.

The ball is currently 2g, I'm looking to add another gram to this figure. I thought about paint, does anybody have any other suggestions ?

I'm aware that this will possibly disregard the results acheived with the ball measured at 40mm diameter because paint will increase the diameter but I can't think of other methods that could increase mass without varying diameter.

[?]

Physics news on Phys.org
Use hollow sphere's and vary the ID.

JMD

ID ?

Internal diameter.

cookiemonster

ta :)

I suppose I could also use a squash ball, I'd imagine a 20ms air jet will provide enough upward force to allow the ball to gain and maintain a height.

I'd expect the squash ball to gain less height than the ping pong ball. What equation could I use to describe this height difference?

F=ma ? Assuming both balls had the same diameter the upward force acting on both the balls would be equal but obviously the downward force will increase due to more mass ?

Also any other ideas for balls to be used? Its surely very important that the different balls have an equal diameter?

What is an experimental technique?

An experimental technique is a method or procedure used to conduct scientific experiments in order to test a hypothesis or answer a research question. It involves the careful design, execution, and analysis of experiments to provide reliable and valid results.

Why is it important to use proper experimental techniques?

Proper experimental techniques are important because they ensure that the results of an experiment are accurate and reliable. By following established methods and procedures, scientists can minimize the potential for errors and bias, and increase the validity and reproducibility of their findings.

What are some common types of experimental techniques?

Some common types of experimental techniques include observation, measurement, manipulation, and control. These techniques may be used in various combinations depending on the nature of the experiment and the research question being investigated.

How do scientists choose the appropriate experimental technique?

Scientists choose the appropriate experimental technique based on the specific research question they are trying to answer. They also consider factors such as the availability of resources, the feasibility of the technique, and ethical considerations.

How do experimental techniques help to advance scientific knowledge?

Experimental techniques help to advance scientific knowledge by providing a systematic and reliable way to test hypotheses and gather data. By using established methods and procedures, scientists can build upon previous findings and contribute to a better understanding of the natural world.