Experimentally observed properties of liquid 3He as a superfluid

In summary, the conversation is about a student's research paper on the thermodynamic properties of the 3He superfluid. They have found a few useful sources but are looking for more journal articles that specifically focus on the experimental observations of these properties. The student has also shared some of the sources they have already collected. Additional papers mentioned are Phase Transitions in Liquid 3He, The Superfluidity of 3He: The Helicopter Experiment and Beyond, Thermal Properties of Superfluid 3He, and The Superfluid Phases of Liquid 3He.
tomnomnom
Hey everyone,

I'm currently taking a thermal physics course and have been assigned a research paper about the thermodynamically arguable aspects of experimentally observed properties of the 3He superfluid. I have been searching for many different sources but have only found a few worthwhile ones, all of which focus more on the theory behind 3He as a superfluid.

My hope is that some of you can point me to some overarching journal articles that address the superfluid's thermodynamic properties as observed by experimentation. I'm meeting with my professor tomorrow to do that as well as have him check my current sources for clarity, but I could use as much help as possible.

For reference, I have amassed the following sources:

Evidence for a new Phase of Solid He3 (D.D. Osheroff et al., PRL, vol 28, #14)

Interpretation of Recent Results on He3 below 3mK: A New Liquid Phase? (A.J. Leggett, PRL, vol 29, #18)

Nobel Lecture: Superfluid 3He: the early days as seen by a theorist (A.J. Leggett, Reviews of Modern Physics, vol 76, Jul 2004)

The Extraordinary phases of liquid 3He (David M. Lee, Reviews of Modern Physics, vol 69, #3, Jul 1997)

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You could also look into the following papers for more information on thermodynamic properties of the 3He superfluid:Phase Transitions in Liquid 3He (R.B. Hallock, Reviews of Modern Physics, vol 70, #3 Jul 1998) The Superfluidity of 3He: The Helicopter Experiment and Beyond (H.J. Maris, Reviews of Modern Physics, vol 71, #1 Jan 1999)Thermal Properties of Superfluid 3He (R.B. Hallock and E.V. Thuneberg, Reviews of Modern Physics, vol 81, #1 Jan 2009) The Superfluid Phases of Liquid 3He (A.F. Andreev and I.M. Khalatnikov, Reviews of Modern Physics, vol 47, #4 Oct 1975)

1. What is liquid 3He?

Liquid 3He, also known as helium-3, is a rare isotope of helium that exists in liquid form at extremely low temperatures.

2. What makes liquid 3He a superfluid?

Liquid 3He exhibits superfluidity, which means it has zero viscosity and can flow without resistance, at temperatures below 3.19 millikelvin.

3. How is the superfluid state of liquid 3He experimentally observed?

The superfluid state of liquid 3He can be observed through various experimental techniques, such as measuring its heat capacity, thermal conductivity, and viscosity.

4. What are the properties of liquid 3He in its superfluid state?

In its superfluid state, liquid 3He displays unique properties such as a non-zero spin, absence of viscosity, and the ability to flow through tiny openings that would usually trap other liquids.

5. What are the potential applications of liquid 3He as a superfluid?

The superfluid state of liquid 3He has potential applications in various fields, including cryogenics, quantum computing, and particle physics research.