Experiments on dark energy

DLeuPel
I’m thinking about modifying some force related equations to include dark energy in them for an essay on physics. My reasoning is that if it can separate galaxies the objects in our day to day lives must also have a small tendency to move apart. To do so, I have to dispose of an already done experiment on this matter. As there been any experiments regarding the measurement of dark energy between two objects ?

Answers and Replies

Bandersnatch
Science Advisor
What do you mean? In laboratory conditions?

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Suppose you did an experiment, and measured a net force between two objects. How would you know what component of that force was due to dark energy?

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
I’m thinking about modifying some force related equations to include dark energy in them for an essay on physics. My reasoning is that if it can separate galaxies the objects in our day to day lives must also have a small tendency to move apart.
That is a common misconception, but it's like an ant pushing on a house. The ant just doesn't move the house. At all. Period. Likewise, dark energy does not cause bound objects to move apart.

DLeuPel
That is a common misconception, but it's like an ant pushing on a house. The ant just doesn't move the house. At all. Period. Likewise, dark energy does not cause bound objects to move apart.
If a person attempts to move a heavy object, he will have to exert less force if an ant is pushing it than if it’s not. Therefore, if the ant represents dark energy, what’s the force that the person has to exert on the object? That is what I would like to know, if someone has already done an experiment regarding that matter.

Suggested for: Experiments on dark energy

Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views