Experiments to do in deep space at 40% of c

In summary, a ship traveling at 40% of the speed of light would be a great place to do experiments because there is no gravity and the high momentum would be a factor. The character is a geo-physisist, so the trip wasn't about the experiments, this is more of an interest/diversion for the long trip.
AllanR
Hi there, first post here!

I'm working on a story and at one point there is a ship traveling at 40% of C. The characters are on a long trip, fifteen years or so, I'm wondering in a ship far from any star system going at a % of C, what kind of interesting experiments could one do. The ship has workshops and some laboratory equipment.

Would being far from gravity be a factor?
Would the high momentum?
Or even things like parallax?

What would be of particular interest to a physicist here? The character is a geo-physisist, the trip wasn't about experiments, this is more an interest/diversion for the long trip.

Thanks

Allan

Physics news on Phys.org
AllanR said:
Hi there, first post here!

I'm working on a story and at one point there is a ship traveling at 40% of C. The characters are on a long trip, fifteen years or so, I'm wondering in a ship far from any star system going at a % of C, what kind of interesting experiments could one do. The ship has workshops and some laboratory equipment.

Would the high momentum?

What would be of particular interest to a physicist here? The character is a geo-physisist, the trip wasn't about experiments, this is more an interest/diversion for the long trip.

Thanks

Allan
All inertial motion is relative, hence there is nothing special about the motion of the spaceship.

You could, of course, test this out and demonstrate the first postulate of special relativity, which says as much.

Nothing interesting about interacting with the slower interstellar medium?

AllanR said:
I don't know. Possibly.

I've always imagined that for interstellar travel a human crew would want to sleep through it!

That said, some people believe they would be needed to steer the ship and make decisions like the crew of the Enterprise. I don't see that myself, but some people might not trust a computer to do the job reliably for 15 years or so.

The story doesn't give them the sleep option, they don't have reliable tech for that, so I'm trying to figure how they would fill the time.

AllanR said:
The story doesn't give them the sleep option, they don't have reliable tech for that, so I'm trying to figure how they would fill the time.
The way anyone would spend 15 years in lockdown! Go slowly mad would be my bet.

Likes AllanR
To make a serious point, this past year has proved how dependent we are mentally on natural things. The people who believe in, say, a potential Martian colony need to take a look at how hard lockdown has been generally. That said, those who believe in living on Mars are probably not the type to consider a mundane issue such as mental health.

The reality of a 15-year space mission is that it's essentially a 15-year prison sentence.

AllanR said:
As far as what is happening inside the ship, they are not moving so as PeroK said, about all you could do is prove that you don't appear to be moving. A very boring conclusion.

Yeah, looking outside would likely be interesting.

yea, its the outside of the ship I'm thinking

PeroK said:
he reality of a 15-year space mission is that it's essentially a 15-year prison sentence.

For many in the story that is exactly what it is.

Likes PeroK
phinds said:
Yeah, looking outside would likely be interesting.
Would it, though? You'd see some Doppler shift in the stars, but not a huge amount. You'd see aberration and beaming (the stars would seem to cluster in front of you a bit and be brighter in front of you). So as you accelerate you'd see stars move and some fade into view as others fade out. Other than that, there's not a lot to see that you couldn't see on Earth, I think.

You've got a pretty hard vacuum to play with if you want to do some experiments. If you have more than one ship, or at least a remote drone, you could use optical Very Long Baseline Interferometry to do astronomy or look at where you're going (or where you've come from). Or you could study growth and development of organisms in zero g. Again, nothing you couldn't do in Earth orbit, but possibly you can come up with something they need to develop on the trip?

To be honest, I expect you'd play a lot of cards, or just read and talk to people. Plus routine maintenance.

Likes AllanR and PeroK
What about point a telescope at a star and confirm it red/blue shifts by as much as expected compared to when you were stationary?

Likes AlexB23
Office_Shredder said:
What about point a telescope at a star and confirm it red/blue shifts by as much as expected compared to when you were stationary?

OK, that's one hour. What to do for the next 130,000?

• Haha
Likes pinball1970 and phinds
Vanadium 50 said:
OK, that's one hour. What to do for the next 130,000?

Spend the first three years learning the physics needed to understand if you got the expected results. Spend the next eight panicking that you did not. Spend the last four realizing it's because you already entered the event horizon of a black hole.

Or you know, spend six of those years playing the entire nes emulator library on the switch, then three days fixing the joycon's broken joystick, then check your telescope, send back groundbreaking physics experimental results to earth, then go back and hit up the snes emulator for the next nine years.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
AllanR said:
Maybe that one.
And lots of maintenance.

AllanR said:
Not really. At that speed it's all just radiation. Some instruments sure will log it (and some scientists far away will be really happy to get the daily data) but for the crew it's not that interesting.

AllanR said:
For a 15 years long travel you need some form of gravity.

Rive said:
For a 15 years long travel you need some form of gravity.
They have internal spin gravity.
I was thinking about things like detecting early universe gravity waves. Would being far from a star system's gravity help in this?

AllanR said:
Would being far from a star system's gravity help in this?

No.

AllanR said:
I was thinking about things like detecting early universe gravity waves. Would being far from a star system's gravity help in this?
No. Being in space is useful (look up LISA, a spaceborne gravitational wave observatory), but deep space doesn't add anything.

Martial arts might be an interesting passtime. Striking styles (boxing, karate, fencing, etc) just wouldn't work in zero g, but grappling/wrestling/MMA type styles would with a lot of practice and development to not use weight at all. There's many years of training and learning there, if that's your kind of thing.

No advantage of being out of heliospheres for anything?

Ibix said:
LISA, a spaceborne gravitational wave observatory

There is no advantage to putting LISA in space. There is ad advantage in making it really big, and there's more space than earth, so that's where it goes.

Vanadium 50 said:
There is no advantage to putting LISA in space. There is ad advantage in making it really big, and there's more space than earth, so that's where it goes.
I think "being able to make it really big" is an advantage from being in space - or at least, something you can't do on Earth. Also, you get free fall for the sensors and pretty hard vacuum for the lasers more or less free, and I would imagine less vibration.

There's no further advantage to moving to deep space that I can think of, though.

The LISA is pretty cool, the characters have access to drones and could do things like that. They're already do some large array imaging, I once visited Pierre Auger Observatory and am using some ideas from that type. They're not trying to prove any theories or anything, data collection is good enough.

AllanR said:
They're not trying to prove any theories or anything, data collection is good enough.
That doesn't sound like something a geo physicist looking for a diversion would want to do. Wouldn't you want to go through the step of data analysis and verification (of already known theory)?

Office_Shredder said:
That doesn't sound like something a geo physicist looking for a diversion would want to do. Wouldn't you want to go through the step of data analysis and verification (of already known theory)?
Yea, especially with the long time frame. Just collecting would be boring.

Perhaps some experiments that require extremely low tidal forces? Low enough such that they could only be done far away from stars.

Likes AllanR
The resolution on an interferometry array increases when you add distance. Targets' separation would resolve as the ship moves.

Over large distances it would be tricky because of light lag. The solar system would have very large numbers of dishes before we launch any interstellar missions. Astronomers in the solar system could send the data stream focused on multiple targets. Someone inside the spaceship could select which target to focus the ship's big dish on. It would be a multiple choice type scenario but based information available years (light distance) ago. It is also possible that a target of opportunity would emerge and so the big dish would aim at that point and assume people in the solar system recognize the same opportunity and focus their dishes too. You would not see the results of that effort for at least twice the light lag time.

Likes AllanR
Thanks everyone, I got some good ideas from this thread :)

What is the significance of conducting experiments in deep space at 40% of c?

The speed of light, denoted as c, is a fundamental constant in physics. Conducting experiments at 40% of c allows scientists to study the effects of objects moving at relativistic speeds, which can provide insights into the nature of space and time.

What types of experiments can be done in deep space at 40% of c?

Experiments at this speed can involve studying the behavior of particles, testing the principles of relativity, and observing the effects of high speeds on objects and materials. Scientists can also use this speed to study phenomena such as time dilation and length contraction.

How do scientists achieve 40% of c in deep space experiments?

Achieving this speed requires advanced propulsion systems and precise calculations. Scientists may use technologies such as ion engines or solar sails to accelerate objects to this speed. They also need to consider factors such as gravitational pull and the effects of space debris.

What are the potential risks of conducting experiments at 40% of c in deep space?

One of the main risks is the potential for collisions with other objects in space, which can be damaging to the equipment and dangerous for the astronauts conducting the experiments. There is also the risk of malfunctions or errors in calculations, which could affect the accuracy of the results.

What are the potential benefits of conducting experiments at 40% of c in deep space?

Studying objects and materials at high speeds can provide valuable insights into the fundamental laws of physics and the nature of the universe. This knowledge can also have practical applications, such as improving space travel and developing new technologies. Additionally, conducting experiments in deep space can help us better understand the universe and our place within it.