1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expert please help me solve this question,

1. Aug 5, 2006 #1
    Expert please help me solve this question, urgent..

[​IMG]

My steps are stucked as below

3 T cos @ = 400, T = tension of each spring, @ = angle of spring with vertical axis
    L sin @ = 0.5
    L cos @ = h
    tan @ = 0.5/h

with L = length of spring

T = 1000 times x where x is the stretch length

3000x cos @ = 400
    x = L - 0.5
    3000 (L-0.5) cos @ = 400
    3000 (h) - 1500 cos @ = 400
    3000 (h) = 400 + 1500 cos @
    h = (400 + 1500 cos @) / 3000

and the I don't know how...

Last edited: Aug 5, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2006 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

You are using the right approach. The Tension, T, in the spring is given by the product of the spring constant, k (= 1000 N/m) and the displacement from equilibrium, x, where x = stretched length - unstreteched length = L - 0.5 m.

But if one has two variables, then one needs two equations to solve for the variables.

Edit: deleted ref to lateral forces.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2006
  4. Aug 5, 2006 #3
    I'm sorry but can I have the solution to get the final value for the question?

5. Aug 5, 2006 #4

Astronuc

One has both a geometric relationship, e.g. L2 = (0.5 m)2 + h2, or tan @ = 0.5/h, or h = L cos @.

And one has the force equilibrium equation in the vertical direction, as you indicated. T in the spring is simply T = k (L-0.5).

See where that get's you.

6. Aug 5, 2006 #5
    I tried.. but I'm not able to solve the question because I couldn't have the value of @...

7. Aug 5, 2006 #6

Astronuc

OK, let's try again.

One has a force equilibrium equation (relationship) in which there are two unknowns, h and @. So one needs another independent relationship between h and @.

So looking at the force equilibrium in the vertical direction, one has

3 Ty = mg, or the vertical force components of the springs = weight of the ball.

Now, mg = 400 N, the ball's weight (it's mass would be about 40.8 kg), and T = k (L-0.5), where k = 1000 N/m and L is a function of h and @, and Ty = T cos @.

So the force equation is:

3 [1000 N/m *(L-0.5)] cos @ = 400 N, but

cos @ = h/L, so

3 [ 1000 N/m *(L-0.5)] h/L = 400 N

I'll leave the algebra for one to finish.

But from the Pythagorean theorem - L2 = h2 + 0.52 m2, or

[tex]L\,=\,\sqrt{h^2\,+\,0.5^2}[/tex].

So one then has an equation for h in terms of the known dimension, weight of ball, and spring constant.

Using lateral forces would not help since one simply shows that Tx = Tx, or T sin@ = T sin@.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?