Why Don't the Electric Fields Match at the Boundary in Gauss's Law Calculation?

In summary: It can be confusing because it is a linear measurement but refers to charge, which is a point measurement. I hope this helpsIn summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving Gauss's Law and finding the electric field strength and direction for a long thin wire and a hollow metal cylinder with a net linear charge density. The solution involves using a coaxial cylinder as a Gaussian surface and the electric field is found to be radially outward. There is a surface charge on the cylinder which affects the continuity of the electric field. The term "linear charge density" refers to giving charge per length and can be used for positive charges distributed along a line.
kingwinner
I am very confused by this tough question. I hope some experts of Gauss's Law can help me out! Any help is greatly appreciated!

1) A long thin straight wire with linear charge ensity lambda runs down the centre of a thin hollow metal cylinder of radius R. The cylinder has a net linear charge density (2*lambda). Take lambda as positive. Find the electric field (strengh & direction)
a) inside the cylinder (r<R)
b) outside the cylinder (r>R)

For part b (r>R), I picked a coaxial cylinder with a radius r>R and of lengt L as the Gaussian surface

E=(Q_enclosed)/(A)(epsilon_o)
E=(lambda)L+2(lambda)L/(A)(epsilon_o)
E=3(lambda)L/(2pi*r*L)(epsilon_o)
E=3(lambda)/(2pi*r)(epsilon_o) [direction: radially outward]

Is this the correct answer Note that the radius of the hollow cylinder "R" is not used in any part of my calculation...did I do something wrong?

For part a, I got the electric field strength for r<R as [lambda/(2pi*epsilon_o*r)], and when I try to substitute r=R into the answers from part a & b, the electric fields DON'T match at the boundary...which further lowers my confidence of being right. But which part did I do it wrong? I can't find my error...Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

By the way, how come they use the term LINEAR charge density for a 3-dimensional hollow cylinder? Say, for example, if a certain hollow cylinder has a linear charge density of 2 C/m, what does it actually mean? A cylinder is definitely NOT a line...

Thank you again!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One more question, for part a, will the electric field also be pointing radially OUTWARD? There are many positive charges surrounding, so wouldn't the electric field be pointing IN?

There is no error. You did use R in the calculation. It tells you where one solution begins and another ends. There is a surface charge on the cylinder, so you shouldn't expect the electric field to be continuous across it. The phrase 'linear charge density' just means that they are giving charge per length rather than the charge per area. That's all.

kingwinner said:
One more question, for part a, will the electric field also be pointing radially OUTWARD? There are many positive charges surrounding, so wouldn't the electric field be pointing IN?

Positive charges? I thought charge density was measured in coulombs per something. And a coulomb was an amount of negative charge. So positive charge density actually mean negative charge. But I could be confused. One could always look it up, right?

according to my textbook and my notes, postive charge density is definitely used for positive charges

1. What is Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric field at a point to the amount of electric charge enclosed by a surface surrounding that point.

2. Who is Gauss and why is he important in relation to this law?

Carl Friedrich Gauss was a German mathematician and physicist who first published the law in 1835. He is considered one of the most influential mathematicians in history and his work on electromagnetism greatly advanced the field.

3. How is Gauss's Law applied in real-world situations?

Gauss's Law is used to calculate the electric fields of various objects and systems, such as charged particles, conductors, and circuits. It is also used in the design of antennas, capacitors, and other electronic devices.

4. What are some common misconceptions about Gauss's Law?

One common misconception is that Gauss's Law only applies to spherical or symmetrical objects, when in fact it can be applied to any shape. Another misconception is that it only applies to static electric fields, but it can also be used to analyze changing electric fields.

5. How does Gauss's Law relate to other laws and principles in physics?

Gauss's Law is closely related to Coulomb's Law, which describes the force between two electrically charged objects. It is also a key component of Maxwell's Equations, which describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields.