Explaining Mass of Particles Traveling at Speed of Light

• Thread starter vivekhere
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of particles traveling at the speed of light and their mass, as well as theories about time travel and how current actions can affect the past. There is no evidence to support the theory that matter traveling faster than the speed of light can be in its own future, and the concept of entanglement is mentioned as a possible explanation for instantaneous effects between particles.
vivekhere
Explain about this please

hi,

Is it so if a particle travels in a speed of light then its mass is considered as Zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on what you mean by a particle. Only photons can travel at the speed of light because they have no mass. Any 'particle' than has mass, like electrons, neutrons, protons, etc. can only approach the speed of light, but they can never reach it. Particle accelerators can speed up electrons to something like 99.9999% the speed of light, but no matter how hard they try, it is impossible to reach 100% of the speed of light.

If you want to know why this is mathematically, I'd suggest you type into google, 'Gamma Function'.

Maybe someone who is good at LATEX can show you hear, just ask.

Like the bro said, particles with mass (rest mass) cannot accelerate to light speed, because their mass continually increases and so it takes more and more force to accelerate them until finally, at very near lightspeed, the mass of even a single atom would become so great that all the energy in the universe couldn't accelerate it any usefull amount.

Therefore (theoretically, at least), the only particles that can travel at lightspeed are those that have no mass, like photons. So, if we observe a particle traveling at lightspeed, we can know that its mass must be zero.

Hi,

I have another doubt.

As u all said only the massless objects can travel in the spped of light then there is one theory which states if a matter travels more than a speed of light can be in its future.

can u tell me how this is satiesfied?

I'm sorry can you reword that question, I don't understand it.

vivekhere said:
Hi,

a matter travels more than a speed of light can be in its future.

He must be talking about time travel...

Its not exactly time travel, its just that when u travel near the speed of light, ur time slows down relative to those who are not traveling at the speed of light. In fact anything moving at a faster speed than some other thing has time dilation. I have heard of something also like astronaut's watches being different after they come back from space etc. So, its the twin's paradox thing that if u go somewhere with the speed of light and come back, u would have only aged for the period of the journey while 80 odd years might have passed on earth..

This is best if u go google things like relativity or gamma function or lorentz transform or just buy some book like A Brief History of Time or Relativity for the Layman etc etc...

oh yeah, there are some obscure things which are way beyond what i know..
like yesterday I read this thing in New Scientist that what u do now could affect what u did yesterday etc etc...tell me if u want to read the entire article or rather here it is

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/fundamentals/mg19125710.900-whats-done-is-done-or-is-it.html

u need to subscribe but if u don't want to, tell me and i could pm it to u

ok ok , i think i said quite a lot of useless and inaccurate stuff.. lol

hi,

ofcourse i understand that. but i want to ask another thing how a particle in Earth can travel in lesser speed than other particle.

vivekhere said:
Hi,

I have another doubt.

As u all said only the massless objects can travel in the spped of light then there is one theory which states if a matter travels more than a speed of light can be in its future.

There is no such theory. It is true that the Lorentze transformation equations give a negative time (which might be considered moving back in time) if you put speed v greater than c, but there is no evidence that that has any physical significance.

vivekhere said:
hi,

ofcourse i understand that. but i want to ask another thing how a particle in Earth can travel in lesser speed than other particle.
? Stand beside a road and watch one car pass another! Am I misunderstanding your question?

hi,

but as posted in New Scientist journel how can a incident we performing in present can effect the past?.

can u explain?

Last edited:
Link doesn't work.

vive

Cut and paste the article so we can understand what you are saying. Your English is tough to get.

vivekhere said:
Hi,

I have another doubt.

Maybe you are talkin bout Entanglement?...where the effects of 1 Partical can Instantanously be felt by up to two more no matter how far apart they are?

What is the mass of particles traveling at the speed of light?

The mass of particles traveling at the speed of light is a complex concept in physics. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely. However, this is only applicable to objects with mass and not to particles such as photons, which have no rest mass and always travel at the speed of light.

Why do particles have mass when traveling at the speed of light?

Particles do not have mass when traveling at the speed of light. This is because, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, the mass of a particle increases infinitely as it approaches the speed of light. However, particles traveling at the speed of light have no rest mass, meaning they have no mass when at rest. Their mass is a result of their energy, as described by the famous equation E=mc².

How does the mass of particles traveling at the speed of light affect the universe?

The mass of particles traveling at the speed of light plays a crucial role in the structure and dynamics of the universe. The energy and mass of particles contribute to the total mass and energy of the universe, which affects the expansion rate and the overall evolution of the universe. In addition, the concept of mass-energy equivalence plays a significant role in understanding the Big Bang theory and the formation of the universe.

Can particles ever reach the speed of light?

No, particles with mass can never reach the speed of light. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely, making it impossible to reach the actual speed of light. However, particles with no rest mass, such as photons, always travel at the speed of light.

What is the significance of particles traveling at the speed of light in modern physics?

The speed of light plays a crucial role in modern physics, as it is the maximum speed at which particles can travel. This speed sets the limit for how fast information and energy can be transmitted, and it is used in various theories and equations in physics, such as Einstein's theory of relativity and Maxwell's equations of electromagnetism. The discovery of particles traveling at the speed of light has also led to the development of technologies such as fiber optics and lasers.