Calculating Core Loss on a Toroid Core

In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating core losses on a toroid core and designing a transformer with specific specifications. The expert requests for more information about the project, such as frequency range, voltages, currents, and materials, to provide accurate help. The beginner also expresses concerns about working with high voltages and requests guidance on how to ensure safety. Further information is required for the expert to provide assistance.
Sudalai
Hello!
I want your help for core losses on how to calculate core loss on a toroid core?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Loss is a property of the core material. Look at the manufacturer’s data sheet, and also look at the application note on how to compute losses.

Likes davenn and Tom.G
Sudalai said:
Hello!
I want your help for core losses on how to calculate core loss on a toroid core?
It sounds like this is related to your other two recent threads about transformers:
Sudalai said:
I have 150 x 100 x 60 M4 grade toroid core and same grade slit coil, I need to 180 x 100 x 60 in my design purpose.i would like to add OD 20 mm. my suspicion is a slit that can be added should be on the same grade?
You have not responded to my questions in your thread with the above post. You really need to give us much more information about this project if we are to help you.

What frequency range will your transformer operate within? What voltages, currents, powers, temperature range, etc.? Can you clarify the size and materials and construction details? What do the source and load look like for this transformer? How reactive are they?

There are several contributions to core losses (and winding losses), depending on the answers to the above questions. If you want our help with this, please provide lots more information. Thank you.

Sorry for the inconvenience, I need 4000 voltage for in our testing purpose but I have single phase variac 240 v so I would like to design step up 230: 4000v I am is a beginner for designing so I am struggling that

Sudalai said:
Sorry for the inconvenience, I need 4000 voltage for in our testing purpose but I have single phase variac 240 v so I would like to design step up 230: 4000v I am is a beginner for designing so I am struggling that
That sounds a bit like a dangerous project for somebody who is a "beginner". What experience do you have working with AC Mains voltages like 230Vrms? What about high voltages like 4000V? Are you working with anybody who does have experience with those voltages and how to keep the project safe?
berkeman said:
What frequency range will your transformer operate within? What voltages, currents, powers, temperature range, etc.? Can you clarify the size and materials and construction details? What do the source and load look like for this transformer? How reactive are they?
We still need answers to these questions in order to try to help you. Thank you.

Likes davenn and dlgoff

1. How is core loss calculated on a toroid core?

Core loss on a toroid core is calculated using the Steinmetz equation, which takes into account the core material, frequency, and peak magnetic flux density. The equation is: P = K * B^α * f^β, where P is the core loss in watts, K is a constant specific to the core material, B is the peak magnetic flux density in teslas, and f is the frequency in hertz. α and β are exponents that vary depending on the core material and frequency range.

2. What is the significance of calculating core loss on a toroid core?

Calculating core loss on a toroid core is important for understanding the efficiency and performance of the core in a specific application. Core loss represents the amount of energy that is converted into heat within the core, and this can impact the overall efficiency and temperature rise of the device.

3. Can core loss be reduced on a toroid core?

Yes, core loss can be reduced on a toroid core by using a core material with lower hysteresis and eddy current losses, operating at a lower frequency, or reducing the peak magnetic flux density. Proper design and selection of the core material and operating conditions can help minimize core loss.

4. How does frequency affect core loss on a toroid core?

Frequency has a significant impact on core loss on a toroid core. As frequency increases, the core loss also increases due to the increased eddy current losses. Therefore, it is important to select a core material and operating frequency that minimizes core loss for a specific application.

5. What are some common methods for measuring core loss on a toroid core?

There are several methods for measuring core loss on a toroid core, including the Epstein frame method, the single sheet tester method, and the ring core method. These methods involve applying a known magnetic field and measuring the resulting core loss. The appropriate method to use depends on the size and shape of the core, as well as the desired accuracy of the measurement.