Explain how modulus works

In summary, You are asked to find the remainder of 7 ^ 100 divided by 25 and the remainder of 2 ^ {603} \times 3 ^ {201} divided by 25. Using the properties of modulus, you can simplify the calculations and solve the first two questions. For the third question, using the same properties, you can show that the given expression is divisible by 25. For the second set of questions, you can use the given information to find the distance between town A and town C by setting up equations and solving for the values.
chickenguy
o:) hi, this is me again.i was wondering if you could teach me how to do these 2 questions (?) means to the power of

1)a)find the remainder when 7(100) (I.E 7 TO THE POWER OF 100) is divided to the power of 25( i know that you are supposed to use mod10 or mod25 or something, but i don't know how to use ,modulus)

b)Find the remainder when 2(603) X 3(201) is divided by 25

c)hence show that 29 X 7(100) + 54 X 2(603) X 3(201) is divisible by 25

2. Two cars left towns A and C at the same time to drive to the other town, passing each other at B and both traveling at different constant speeds, The car from A travels 20km/h faster than the car from C. The distance from A to B is 10km more than the distance from C to B. The car from C completed the journey from B to A in 35 minutes. Find the distance from A to C

so, A-----------------------------B----------------------------C
x + 10 km x km

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Looking at 1a). Well, sometimes you have to be a little foxy with these and play around with them. Noting 7^2=49==-1 Mod (25), we are about 90% home already. So we look at 7^100==(-1)^50 Mod 25. So its only a short step now...

1. b can be done like 1.a. Just notice that 603 = 3 x 201.
1. c Notice that:
*If: [tex]a_1 \equiv b_1 \mbox{ mod } c[/tex] and [tex]a_2 \equiv b_2 \mbox{ mod } c[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow (a_1 + a_2) \equiv (b_1 + b_2) \mbox{ mod } c[/tex]
*If:
[tex]a_1 \equiv b_1 \mbox{ mod } c[/tex] and [tex]a_2 \equiv b_2 \mbox{ mod } c[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow (a_1 a_2) \equiv (b_1 b_2) \mbox{ mod } c[/tex]

For question 2, call car starts from A car 1, and car starts from C car 2.
Car 1, and car 2 travels at constant speed, and car 1 travels 20 km / h faster than car 2. That means for every 1 hour, car 1 can travels more than car 2 : 20 km. And for [tex]n \mbox{, } n \in \mathbb{R}[/tex] hour(s) car 1 travels more than car 2 : [tex]20n[/tex] (km).
So when car 1 reaches B, it has travel a distance AB, when car 2 reaches B, it has travel a distance CB, and AB = BC + 10 km. They reach B at the same time, car 1 travels more than car 2 : 10 km (using the same amount of time), so can you find how much time they have spent to reach B?
Compare the two amount of time car 2 spends on CB, and BA, and there length AB = 10 + BC, can you find car 2's speed? From there, you can solve for AC.
Viet Dao,

thanks, but i still don't understanf how to use mod and how it works, also, with question 2, could you eexplain a bit more?? i don't understand where the n comes from etc.

Let call [itex]v_1[/itex] (km / h) the speed of car 1, [itex]v_2[/itex] (km / h) the speed of car 2. We have [itex]v_1 = v_2 + 20[/itex] So for a specific amount of time t (in hours), car 1 travels: [tex]d_1 = v_1 t = v_2t + 20t[/tex], car 2 travels [tex]d_2 = v_2 t[/tex] For for every t (h), car 1 travels more than car 2: [tex]\Delta d = d_1 - d_2 = 20t[/tex] (km). That's where the t comes from.
Is it clear enough?
Viet Dao,

sorry for being a persistent annoyance, but could you possibly explain how modulus works(question 1) because i have no idea, and explain question 2 a bit more( i still don't understand :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

For the first question : You are asked to find the remainder of 7 ^ 100 divided by 25.
You will try to make it into something that's easy to take the remainder. You notice that:
[itex]7 ^ 2 = 49[/itex], so: [itex]7 ^ 2 \equiv -1 \mbox{ mod } 25[/itex].
Using:
---------
[tex]a_1 \equiv b_1 \mbox{ mod c and } a_2 \equiv b_2 \mbox{ mod } c \Rightarrow (a_1 a_2) \equiv (b_1 b_2) \mbox{ mod } c[/tex] (1)
---------
[tex]a_1 \equiv b_1 \mbox{ mod c and } a_2 \equiv b_2 \mbox{ mod } c \Rightarrow (a_1 + a_2) \equiv (b_1 + b_2) \mbox{ mod } c[/tex] (2)
---------
So: [tex]7 ^ {100} = {(7 ^ 2)} ^ {50} = 7 ^ 2 \times 7 ^ 2 \times 7 ^ 2 \times ... \times 7 ^ 2[/tex] 50 copies of 7 ^ 2.
Using (1), you have:
[tex]7 ^ {100} \equiv 7 ^ 2 \times 7 ^ 2 \times 7 ^ 2 \times ... \times 7 ^ 2 \equiv (-1)(-1)(-1)...(-1) \equiv (-1) ^ {50} \equiv 1 \mbox{ mod } 25[/tex] (50 copies of -1).
So [tex]7 ^ 100 \equiv 1 \mbox { mod } 25[/tex]
Then, do the same for b. Remember [tex]2 ^ {603} \times 3 ^ {201} = (2 ^ 3 \times 3) ^ {201}[/tex] and [tex]2 ^ 3 \times 3 \equiv ? \mbox{ mod } 25[/tex]?
For c: Also use (1), and (2) will give you [tex]29 \times 7 ^ {100} + 54 \times 2 ^ {603} \times 3 ^ {201} \equiv 0 \mbox{ mod } 25[/tex] Which means it's divisible by 25.
For Q2, please read my post again. I am showing you that for a specific amount of time t, car 1 travels more than car 2 : 20t (km).
So that means, for every 1 hour car 1 will travel more than car 2 : 20 x 1 = 20 km, for every 2 hours car 1 travels more than car 2 : 20 x 2 = 40 km, for every 2.5 hours car 1 travels more than car 2 : 20 x 2.5 = 50 km.
So when they both reach B, car 1 travel more than car 2 : 10 km. So how long does it take car 2 to travels from C to B, and car 1 to travel from A to B?
From there you will know how long it takes car 2 to travel from C to B, you also know it takes car 2 : 35 minutes (7 / 12 hour) to travel from B to A, and AB = BC + 10, so can you find car 2's speed?
Viet Dao,

Last edited:

1. What is modulus?

The modulus operation, denoted by %, is a mathematical operation that calculates the remainder after division of one number by another.

2. How does modulus work?

For example, the expression 10 % 4 would result in 2, since 10 divided by 4 is 2 with a remainder of 2. In other words, modulus returns the remainder of a division operation.

3. What types of numbers can be used with modulus?

Modulus can be used with any type of number, including integers, decimals, and negative numbers.

4. What is the purpose of modulus?

Modulus is often used in programming to determine if a number is odd or even, to loop through a set of numbers, and to perform other calculations.

5. Are there any special rules for using modulus?

Yes, when using modulus with negative numbers, the result will always be a positive number. For example, -10 % 4 would result in 2 instead of -2.