1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Explain induced charged to me

1. Feb 17, 2014 #1
    Can anyone explain this excerpt to me? I'm lost on how the positive and negative charges push each other away instead of attract.

Thanks!!

P.s

I think this goes in this forum.

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1392693395.872396.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2014 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Where have you seen that the opposite charges push away each other????

ehild

4. Feb 17, 2014 #3

On the picture it depicts it. An in the paragraph starting with "some of the electrons" sentence says they are unbalanced. I'm just a little confused on it

5. Feb 17, 2014 #4
    It's not that the electrons are pushed away by the positive charge at the other end of the rod. They are initially repelled by the negative charge in the other rod that's held up close. The electrons at the far end of the rod are still attracted to the positive end, but they stay at the far end due to the competing force of the other rod.

6. Feb 17, 2014 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You mean "some of the conduction electrons move to the far end of the cooper rod leaving the near end of the cooper rod depleted in electrons and thus with an unbalanced positive charge"?

The plastic rod is negatively charged. The electrons have negative charge. When the plastic rod is brought close to the cooper, it repels the free electrons of the cooper and they move as far as possible. So the part of the cooper rod which is close to the plastic becomes positive. That part is attracted by the negative plastic rod, and the far end is repelled, but with less force, as it is farther. (The electrons pushed away are attracted to the positive charge remained at the close end, but that force is smaller then that of the plastic rod).

ehild

7. Feb 17, 2014 #6
    Ahhhhh i see!! Thanks!! Silly question I know but Id rather ask now and understand it rather than not know at all!

8. Feb 17, 2014 #7

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Very well, just ask!

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted