Explain me the whole process of GLYCOLYSIS

In summary: I think we have a deal.In summary, the conversation is about the process of glycolysis and the request for someone to explain it step by-step. However, the other person is hesitant to do so and suggests other resources for a full review. The conversation ends with a playful exchange about translating the concepts into chemistry and the other person jokingly requesting a bedtime story and a lunchtime lesson in Quantum Mechanics.
mohan
Can anyone there please explain me the whole process of GLYCOLYSIS with all its phases step by step like a teacher so that I can understand it in a better way!
Thanks in Advance!

Biology news on Phys.org
You've got to give us a little more than this. If you want a full review of glycolysis, your best resource is a book or the web. If you are having trouble with any specific aspects of it, we are more than willing to help explain them, if you work along with us.

mohan said:
Can anyone there please explain me the whole process of GLYCOLYSIS with all its phases step by step like a teacher so that I can understand it in a better way!
Thanks in Advance!

Oh I can't resist: Two rocket engines called Glycolysis and Fat Metabolism both funnel into a combustion chamber called the Kreb Cycle. And at the very top of each a key controls their thrust. That key, called Adrenalin caused a marvelous cascading-enzyme effect in which a very small turn of the key gets translated into a very large thrust. :smile: Now, your task, if you so choose to accept it, is to kindly translate this into Chemistry.

mohan said:
Thanks in Advance!

Ok, fair deal, I will do this if you are willing to read me War & Peace as a bedtime story, and explain the intricacies of Quantum Mechanics over lunch.

1. What is glycolysis?

Glycolysis is the metabolic process by which glucose is broken down into smaller molecules of pyruvate. This process takes place in the cytoplasm of cells and is the first step in cellular respiration.

2. How does glycolysis work?

Glycolysis involves a series of 10 chemical reactions that convert glucose into two molecules of pyruvate. These reactions are catalyzed by various enzymes and require the input of 2 ATP molecules to begin.

3. What are the products of glycolysis?

The main products of glycolysis are two molecules of pyruvate, two molecules of ATP, and two molecules of NADH. In certain conditions, glycolysis can also produce other products such as lactate or ethanol.

4. What is the role of glycolysis in energy production?

Glycolysis is the first step in the process of cellular respiration, which is the main way that cells produce energy in the form of ATP. The products of glycolysis, particularly NADH, go on to participate in other energy-producing processes in the cell.

5. How is glycolysis regulated?

Glycolysis is regulated by the presence of certain enzymes and feedback mechanisms that control the rate of the reactions. The levels of ATP, ADP, and other molecules in the cell can also influence the rate of glycolysis, as well as the availability of oxygen.