What does 'Explain Quantitatively' Mean?

• Thread starter superg33k
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning of "Explain quantitatively" in a question related to BLAH. The speaker initially thought it meant giving an outline of the argument, but the use of the word "quantity" made them consider the possibility of using numbers and data. The other speaker clarifies that it means explaining with measurements and quantifiable data, leading to a change in the initial understanding of the question.
superg33k

Homework Statement

I have a question that states "Explain quantitatively why BLAH is true". What does "Explain quantitatively" mean?

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it means give an outline of the argument, however the word quantity makes me think it might mean the opposite; work out the exact numbers for the argument.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, think about it. Quantitative sounds like quantity/quantify. Long idea short, it means to explain your answer with the use of measurements and quantifiable data.

Thanks for the quick reply. I asked because thinking about it gave me a different answer to the one I have always thought it was. Thanks.

1. What does it mean to explain quantitatively?

Explaining quantitatively means using numerical or mathematical data to describe and support a concept or phenomenon. It involves using precise measurements, calculations, and statistical analysis to provide a quantitative understanding of a topic.

2. How is quantitative explanation different from qualitative explanation?

Quantitative explanation focuses on numerical data and uses mathematical models and equations to describe a concept, while qualitative explanation uses words and descriptions to convey an understanding of a topic. Quantitative explanation is more precise and objective, while qualitative explanation is more subjective and open to interpretation.

3. What are some common examples of quantitative explanation in science?

Quantitative explanation is commonly used in many scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, biology, and economics. Examples include using mathematical equations to describe the motion of objects, calculating the concentration of a substance in a solution, and analyzing data from experiments to support a hypothesis.

4. How do scientists ensure the validity of their quantitative explanations?

Scientists ensure the validity of their quantitative explanations by following the scientific method, which involves making observations, forming a hypothesis, designing and conducting experiments, and analyzing data. They also use statistical analysis to determine the significance of their results and replicate experiments to confirm their findings.

5. Can quantitative explanation be used in other fields besides science?

Yes, quantitative explanation can be used in various fields besides science, such as business, finance, and social sciences. In these fields, quantitative analysis is often used to make informed decisions, forecast trends, and evaluate the effectiveness of strategies. Examples include using financial ratios to analyze a company's performance, conducting surveys and analyzing data to understand consumer behavior, and using statistical methods to study social phenomena.