Explain EM Drive: A Level Essay Help

In summary, the conversation revolves around the EMDrive and the speaker's struggle to understand its working principle. They mention that microwaves are fired into a tapered chamber and create a thrust, but there is controversy surrounding this concept. The speaker also mentions the involvement of magnet and electric fields, and asks for assistance in physically defining lorentzian wormholes for their essay. The conversation is closed temporarily due to the EMDrive being a forbidden topic on Physics Forums.
Falcus
Hi, I am writing an essay for my extended project A Level, and part of this I am writing about the EMDrive. I thought I would be able to skim over how it works mostly earlier but have decided I would rather not. I am struggling to understand how it works and any explanation would be helpful. To my understanding, microwaves are fired into a tapered chamber and when they hit off one end they exert a greater force than on the other creating a resultant thrust. I have seen this compared to flying by pulling up on your shoe laces, which I have to agree is what I picture it as. I have come to understand that there is actually a reasonable amount of controversy surrounding this concept. I also believe magnet and electric fields are involved somewhere? Due to Roger Shawyer using the equation F= q(E+vB) in his original paper.

Thanks in advance
Falcus

P.S - I posed a question for the same essay about physically defining lorentzian wormholes also so if anyone could answer that would be extremely helpful, also if it helps the title of my essay is 'What recognised theories, if physically achieved, could aid future space exploration?' and I understand how the theories aid this, just defining them is my issue due to my limited A level understanding accompanied by a plethora of further reading.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

This thread will remain closed. The EM Drive is on the list of PF Forbidden Topics (see the Rules link at the top of the page under INFO). It is crackpot stuff, and not worth the time to debunk. From the Forbidden Topics list:
micromass said:
EMDrive and other reactionless drives
Articles suggesting that NASA, the Chinese government, or some other governmental actor is working on such a technology frequently appear in the popular press. These claims have been extensively debunked and are not acceptable references under the Physics Forums rules.

What is the EM Drive?

The EM Drive, or Electromagnetic Drive, is a controversial propulsion system that claims to be able to generate thrust without the need for any propellant.

How does the EM Drive work?

The EM Drive works by using microwaves to create a difference in radiation pressure on either end of the device, which results in a net thrust in one direction.

Is the EM Drive scientifically proven?

No, the EM Drive is not yet scientifically proven. While there have been several experiments that have shown positive results, they have not been able to replicate the same level of thrust in multiple trials.

What are the potential applications of the EM Drive?

If the EM Drive is proven to work, it could have a significant impact on space travel by reducing the need for large amounts of propellant and allowing for faster and more efficient travel through space.

What are the main criticisms of the EM Drive?

The main criticisms of the EM Drive include the lack of a clear scientific explanation for how it works, the inability to consistently replicate positive results, and the potential violation of the laws of physics, specifically the conservation of momentum.