Understanding the Use of Magnetic Field in MIT Problem 4 31-9

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving calculating the magnetic field at a distance from a current-carrying wire. The solution involves integrating the B field over the area inside a loop at a distance h from the wire, extending a distance w in the x direction and a distance L in the y direction. A figure is requested to clarify the meaning of the x direction, and the concept of integrating over the area of the loop is explained.
flyingpig
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

what is h?

can you tell me via some image?

They are integrating the B field over the area inside the loop. (Since I don't have the figure, I must go by the mathematics in their solution.) The loop must be distance, h, from the current carrying wire. The loop extends a distance, w, in the x direction and a distance L in the y direction.

Last edited:

Hm you are right, let me get the picture.

What do you mean "x direction"?

When I first did it I did this

[tex]\Phi = B \cdot A = \frac{\mu_0 I}{2\pi (h + w)} \cdot Lw[/tex]

flyingpig said:
What do you mean "x direction"?

When I first did it I did this

[tex]\Phi = B \cdot A = \frac{\mu_0 I}{2\pi (h + w)} \cdot Lw[/tex]

The magnetic field you used only applies at the very bottom of the loop. In general, B is given by mu_0*I/(2*pi*r), where r is the distance from the wire. You have to integrate over the area of the loop to get the flux.

What is the MIT problem?

The MIT problem is a mathematical puzzle that involves finding the shortest route to travel between a set of points while also visiting each point only once.

What makes the MIT problem challenging?

The MIT problem is challenging because it is a type of optimization problem that requires finding the most efficient solution out of a large number of possibilities.

What are some real-life applications of the MIT problem?

The MIT problem has real-life applications in areas such as logistics, transportation, and computer networking, where finding the most efficient route is important.

How is the MIT problem solved?

The MIT problem can be solved using various algorithms, such as the nearest neighbor algorithm or the branch and bound algorithm. These algorithms use mathematical techniques to find the optimal solution.

Are there any limitations to the MIT problem?

Yes, the MIT problem is a simplified version of the real-world problem and does not take into account factors such as traffic, road conditions, and other constraints that may affect the optimal route in real life.