Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Explain vectors from begining to end

1. Oct 11, 2004 #1
    Can someone(s) explain vectors from begining to end. Elaborate as much as possible. Thanks alot guys ex. using a2 +b2= c2 in vectors
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I believe this question is a bit too broad to be answered in an online forum. You might consider a textbook!

- Warren
  4. Oct 12, 2004 #3
    you know what, that just might work :surprised
  5. Oct 13, 2004 #4
    vectors are entities that have length and direction, that is all there is to it.

If you add two vectors (as in a2 + b2 = c2) you just add the directions and lengths, so that the result is a vector with a length and direction that is the sum of the two vectors that you have added.

just learn what length and direction mean, and all will be clear...
  6. Oct 13, 2004 #5
    A vector is a directed line segment. I assume you know what a line is right? Take part of the line and to that add a direction so as to give it a direction. That is a vector.

For details please see - http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Vector.html

7. Oct 13, 2004 #6
    Electric field is an example of a vector.

You could say "Well this electric field has a magnitude of x" but in order to fully describe it you must also state the direction in which it acts
  8. Oct 13, 2004 #7
    Hi, confederateraider!
    It's just impossible to teach you vectors through internet. The problem is that I'd be stay here(in front of computer) all day. Sorry, but I think you're "very" accomodated. You can look for textbooks in librarys. I'm sure that you'll find it.
  9. Oct 13, 2004 #8
    You sound quite motivated.

Dig around the library for some textbooks and see what good stuff you can find. What you may also what to do is ask a math teacher you know and see what they can recommend to you.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?