Explain why the average velocity of the gas molecules in a container is zero

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of kinetic theory and the concept of average velocity in gas molecules. The question of why the average velocity is zero was discussed and the difference between velocity and speed was highlighted. The conversation also touched upon the idea of mean square velocity and how the bouncing of molecules off the walls of a container cancels out their velocities. Ultimately, the conversation emphasized the need for a simple explanation rather than just providing the answer.
joe1joe1joe2
Hey there guys i am new here and not sure if this is in the right section, well here goes.

Just doing some revision and realized I must have been asleep for the Kinetic theory lessons, i have now grasped some of the basics, but have come to this question and not usre how to answer it...

Explain why the average velocity of the gas molecules in a container is zero.

Now i have had a look around on wikipedia and things like that but it goes into a lot of detail, and we don't need to go into that much detail, also I don't just want the answer handed to me i would appreciate it if you could explain it for me in fairly simple terms...

Many Thanks

Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: What's the difference between velocity and speed?

velocity is a vector quantity and therefore has a direction as well as the speed...

so because this is the mean square velocity, does that mean as the molecules are boucing off the walls all the time then their velocities are cancelling each other out because as it hits at 500m/s it then rebounds at -500m/s or something along those lines?

ooo wait squaring it, that will change it from being negative to postive...

joe1joe1joe2 said:
so because this is the mean square velocity...
Who said anything about squaring?

1. What is the concept of average velocity in a gas?

The average velocity of gas molecules in a container refers to the average speed and direction at which the molecules are moving within the container. This is important in understanding the behavior and properties of gases.

2. How is the average velocity of gas molecules calculated?

The average velocity of gas molecules is calculated by taking the sum of the velocities of all the molecules in the container and dividing it by the total number of molecules present. This gives an overall average value for the velocity of the gas.

3. Why is the average velocity of gas molecules in a container considered to be zero?

This is because the movement of gas molecules is random and chaotic. While individual molecules may have a certain velocity, the overall average velocity of all the molecules will be zero due to the random nature of their movement.

4. Does this mean that no gas molecules are moving in a container?

No, the average velocity being zero does not mean that no gas molecules are moving. It simply means that the net movement of all the molecules in the container is zero, as the molecules are moving in various directions with different speeds, resulting in an overall average of zero.

5. How does the concept of average velocity affect the properties of gases?

The average velocity of gas molecules is directly related to the temperature and pressure of a gas. As the average velocity increases, so does the temperature and pressure. This helps to explain various gas laws, such as Boyle's law and Charles's law.