1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Explaining feet pr. 100ft?

1. Jun 21, 2006 #1
    I have an equation for calculting head loss in pipes, and the result comes out as ft/100ft. I don't understand this unit, as I was expecting a unit more in the form of Pa, psi, or something to that effect. If someone can explain it to me I would appreciate it :-)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2006 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

The units are in terms of head loss per 100 ft of pipe, not pressure drop. Since it is head instead of pressure, the units are a length per length of pipe. It does look a bit wierd, admittedly.

4. Jun 21, 2006 #3
    looks like a typing error, if it is ft/100ft then the ft will cancel out to get 100, the head loss to me sounds like a rate of something, so I would say it should be psi/100ft if you are using those types of units, this is what I think anyway

5. Jun 21, 2006 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's not a typing error. It's a perfectly sensible unit, especially if you want to decide, for instance, how high to place a storage tank for a gravity feed.

To convert to Pa per 100 ft. of pipe, multiply the given number by 1000(kg/m3)*9.8(m/s2)*0.30(m/ft).

6. Jun 21, 2006 #5
    i've never seen that used before, must be because I am english or because I am thick lol I apologise for my false statement before

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?