1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Explaining Tension

1. Jan 13, 2008 #1
    Could someone PLEASE explain tension to me? Even a link to another site than can explain it would be great. For some reason I have never understood it very well.

Thank you for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2008 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

I would think tension is like a normal reaction force. For example, if a rope is held vertically with a weight on the end. There is a force acting on the rope opposite in direction to the force that gravity exerts on the weight. That force is tension.

4. Jan 13, 2008 #3
    Can you direct me to a visual representation please? I'm still confused.

5. Jan 13, 2008 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Well I do not know where I can get visual representation. But think of it like this;If you have a weight suspended from a rope, and the rope-weight system is in equilibrium. Do you agree that the weight acts vertically downwards?If so, for the system to be in equilibrium should there not be a force equal and opposite in direction to the weight?

6. Jan 13, 2008 #5
    I see. That helps, thank you SO much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook