1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Explaining the Doppler Effect

1. Nov 14, 2005 #1
    Hi,

I was wondering if anybody knows where I can find a good website that explains the Doppler Effect in terms of the position of the source and observer.
    I understand how the effect works, just not with relative position. (ie: when the velocity is positive...)
    Or Problems such as these:

Imagine that the source is to the right of the listener, so that the positive reference direction (from the listener to the source) is in the +x direction. If the listener is stationary, what value does f_L approach as the source's speed approaches the speed of sound moving to the right?

Now, imagine that the source is to the left of the listener, so that the positive reference direction is in the -\hat{x} direction. If the source is stationary, what value does f_L approach as the listener's speed (moving in the +\hat{x} direction) approaches the speed of sound?

So if anyone knows of a good website or could explain how to obtain the direction of the velocities wrt the source or observe it would VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2005 #2
    Read this site on the Doppler effect

Click on "Sound and Hearing" then "Doppler Effect"
    marlon

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?