Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Explaining the origin of first living organism?

1. Oct 14, 2005 #1
    I ask for a brief answer; can you build a building without ground floor? you cannot. how can you build a theory without explaining the origin of first living organism? Give me a logical answer

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2005 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Because it's not necessary, trying to compare the two is nonsense.

4. Oct 14, 2005 #3
    because evolution only addresses what happens to an organism since the creation of life on earth. it is looking at the progression of life and the system that makes it operate, not how the organism got here.

you can insert god, space aliens, or anything else you like, but evolution does not care.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2005
  5. Oct 14, 2005 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

doe snot? :yuck:

That and evolution isn't a physical structure. That kind of kills that comparison.

6. Oct 14, 2005 #5

Danger

Gold Member

Even though the challenge is specious, I'll point out that I've seen a lot of buildings without a ground floor. And that's not even counting tree-houses.

7. Oct 14, 2005 #6
    good thing there is an edit :-D

8. Oct 14, 2005 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Silly and flawed analogies are just that, not science.

9. Oct 14, 2005 #8
    Creation???

10. Oct 14, 2005 #9
    You are right!!! :surprised

I cannot believe I ever believed in science, thanks for sheding some light :rolleyes:

11. Oct 14, 2005 #10

matthyaouw

Gold Member

If that is the best arguement you can come up with, please give up and leave us alone now.

12. Oct 14, 2005 #11
    Evolution is how something evolves, not how it FIRST got there.... A change in the DNA of a population.

It explains the process, and it makes perfect sense.

13. Oct 14, 2005 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, it looks like every who has replied here has a good grasp on it. The origin of life is not part of the theory of evolution. Evolution is how species change over time.

Trying to rebut evolution because we don't know how the first organism came to exist would be like rebutting the law of gravity because we don't know how the universe began.

14. Oct 14, 2005 #13
    I'd like to point out that we have some good leads on how the first organism came to exist. Searching on PubMed with words like "Prebiotic chemistry" "RNA world" "origins of life" yields a wealth of reports.

Of course, I generally agree that this is a different area of scientific inquiry ... with the caveat that "survival of the fittest" could apply as well to self-replicating RNA molecules as it does to living organisms. It is possible that evolutionary processes may arguably predate life as we define it.

15. Oct 14, 2005 #14

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I thought we already have a theory on that... but not really anything to do with Evolution.

16. Oct 14, 2005 #15

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Heard of Electronics ?

It explains every detail of the working of your computer but guess what ... it doesn't tell you the name of the worker in an assembly plant in Indonesia who mounted the fan in the back of your case.

17. Oct 14, 2005 #16
    Does it have a testable prediction that would allow us to disprove it?

18. Oct 14, 2005 #17

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Your the biologists! What are you asking me for :tongue2:

Isnt the theory like.... something hits the earth with this atom (florine?) and it combined with the other atoms necessary for life and after a while, life was created. Guess it doesn't really predict anything other then life is possible elsewhere.. and unless you wanna start pelting planets that looked like earth from waaaaay back then with meteorites, i don't think its realistically testable.

Scientific enough for you??? Geez!

19. Oct 14, 2005 #18
    Nah, that's great! Yes, it has a testable prediction. We ought to be able to disprove it.

I thought you were alluding to God and creationism. :biggrin:

20. Oct 14, 2005 #19

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Pff, typical :rolleyes:

21. Oct 14, 2005 #20

Danger

Gold Member

I'm not entirely convinced that there is a fan in his case.:tongue:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?