Explaining the origin of first living organism? (1 Viewer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

F

farukmert

I ask for a brief answer; can you build a building without ground floor? you cannot. how can you build a theory without explaining the origin of first living organism? Give me a logical answer

Evo

Mentor
farukmert said:
I ask for a brief answer; can you build a building without ground floor? you cannot. how can you build a theory without explaining the origin of first living organism? Give me a logical answer
Because it's not necessary, trying to compare the two is nonsense.

farukmert said:
because evolution only addresses what happens to an organism since the creation of life on earth. it is looking at the progression of life and the system that makes it operate, not how the organism got here.

you can insert god, space aliens, or anything else you like, but evolution does not care.

Last edited:

Evo

Mentor
doe snot? :yuck:

That and evolution isn't a physical structure. That kind of kills that comparison.

Danger

Gold Member
Even though the challenge is specious, I'll point out that I've seen a lot of buildings without a ground floor. And that's not even counting tree-houses.

good thing there is an edit :-D

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
farukmert said:
Silly and flawed analogies are just that, not science.

Creation???

farukmert said:
You are right!!! :surprised

I cannot believe I ever believed in science, thanks for sheding some light :rolleyes:

matthyaouw

Gold Member
farukmert said:
If that is the best arguement you can come up with, please give up and leave us alone now.

farukmert said:
Evolution is how something evolves, not how it FIRST got there.... A change in the DNA of a population.

It explains the process, and it makes perfect sense.

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Well, it looks like every who has replied here has a good grasp on it. The origin of life is not part of the theory of evolution. Evolution is how species change over time.

Trying to rebut evolution because we don't know how the first organism came to exist would be like rebutting the law of gravity because we don't know how the universe began.

I'd like to point out that we have some good leads on how the first organism came to exist. Searching on PubMed with words like "Prebiotic chemistry" "RNA world" "origins of life" yields a wealth of reports.

Of course, I generally agree that this is a different area of scientific inquiry ... with the caveat that "survival of the fittest" could apply as well to self-replicating RNA molecules as it does to living organisms. It is possible that evolutionary processes may arguably predate life as we define it.

Pengwuino

Gold Member
farukmert said:
I thought we already have a theory on that... but not really anything to do with Evolution.

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
farukmert said:
Heard of Electronics ?

It explains every detail of the working of your computer but guess what ... it doesn't tell you the name of the worker in an assembly plant in Indonesia who mounted the fan in the back of your case.

Pengwuino said:
I thought we already have a theory on that... but not really anything to do with Evolution.
Does it have a testable prediction that would allow us to disprove it?

Pengwuino

Gold Member
pattylou said:
Does it have a testable and disprovable prediction?
Your the biologists! What are you asking me for :tongue2:

Isnt the theory like.... something hits the earth with this atom (florine?) and it combined with the other atoms necessary for life and after a while, life was created. Guess it doesn't really predict anything other then life is possible elsewhere.. and unless you wanna start pelting planets that looked like earth from waaaaay back then with meteorites, i don't think its realistically testable.

Scientific enough for you??? Geez!

Pengwuino said:
Your the biologists! What are you asking me for :tongue2:
Isnt the theory like.... something hits the earth with this atom (florine?) and it combined with the other atoms necessary for life and after a while, life was created. Guess it doesn't really predict anything other then life is possible elsewhere.. and unless you wanna start pelting planets that looked like earth from waaaaay back then with meteorites, i don't think its realistically testable.
Scientific enough for you??? Geez!
Nah, that's great! Yes, it has a testable prediction. We ought to be able to disprove it.

I thought you were alluding to God and creationism. :biggrin:

Pengwuino

Gold Member
pattylou said:
Nah, that's great! Yes, it has a testable prediction. We ought to be able to disprove it.
I thought you were alluding to God and creationism. :biggrin:
Pff, typical :rolleyes:

Danger

Gold Member
Gokul43201 said:
it doesn't tell you the name of the worker in an assembly plant in Indonesia who mounted the fan in the back of your case.
I'm not entirely convinced that there is a fan in his case.:tongue:

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving