Calculate Prediction Accuracy Using Statistical Test

• Thread starter Yann
  • Start date
In summary, the statistical test to know that the equation is able to predict a % of the variation in observed size is called a "statistical test of fit."
Yann
I have two sets of data. The first is the observed value for a number of objects, the second is the predicted value for those objects. I want to know how much, in %, my equation is able to predict. What's the name of the statistical test to know that ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yann said:
I have two sets of data. The first is the observed value for a number of objects, the second is the predicted value for those objects. I want to know how much, in %, my equation is able to predict. What's the name of the statistical test to know that ?
What "equation" are you talking about? Are you under the impression that this question makes any sense at all?

Lets say you have a number of species and you know their size S;

(S1, S2, S3 .. Sn)...

Then, you have an equation to predict the size on those animals. So you have another "vector" with predicted size P;

(P1, P2, P3 ... Pn)...

In an article, the author said his equation (the one he used to get P1, P2...) explains X% of the variation in size, but he doesn't give any clue to the method he used to find that %. I just want to know what's the name of the method he used, how can you know how much the predicted size explains the variations in the observed size ?

What I understood it correctly is as follows:

U have an equation y=f(x), to find the size of the animal.
Now to find its accuracy, u take a sample of size n (i.e. ur observed value) n try to find the % of variation by comparing the values of actual n observed one…
One simple method is
Find out which distribution the random variable X (the size) follows.
If it follows normal distribution, then try to estimate the mean n variance of it by using some unbiased estimator (for any other distribution, estimate the unknown parameter of the PDF).
Hope u can do the needful… good luck

What is the purpose of calculating prediction accuracy using statistical test?

The purpose of calculating prediction accuracy using statistical test is to determine the effectiveness and reliability of a prediction model. It helps to evaluate how well the model can predict future outcomes based on past data.

What are the steps involved in calculating prediction accuracy using statistical test?

The steps involved in calculating prediction accuracy using statistical test include selecting a suitable statistical test, collecting data, performing the statistical test, and interpreting the results. The specific steps may vary depending on the type of test being used.

What are the common statistical tests used to calculate prediction accuracy?

Some common statistical tests used to calculate prediction accuracy include t-test, ANOVA, chi-square test, regression analysis, and correlation analysis. The choice of test depends on the type of data and the research question being investigated.

How do I interpret the results of a statistical test for prediction accuracy?

The results of a statistical test for prediction accuracy can be interpreted by comparing the observed value with the critical value or p-value. If the observed value is greater than the critical value or the p-value is less than the chosen significance level, the prediction model can be considered statistically significant.

What are some limitations of calculating prediction accuracy using statistical test?

Some limitations of calculating prediction accuracy using statistical test include the assumption of normality and homogeneity of variance in the data, potential for Type I and Type II errors, and the need for a large sample size. It is also important to consider the context and relevance of the results in practical applications.