Why is the solution for time of flight multiplied by a factor of 2?

In summary: Is it at the ground, or is it still in the air? If it's still in the air, then it has to be affected by air resistance, which will slow it down. If it's at the ground, then there's no air resistance and it can move at a constant speed.
VKnopp
I have decided to self-teach myself A-Level Physics. I am confused about one particular step of a solution to a certain problem that the textbook provided.

Problem:

A stone is thrown vertically upwards at ##15 ms^{-1}##. How long is the stone in the air until hitting the ground?

There are a few assumptions:

-air resistance is minimal
-displacement and velocity are positive upwards and negative downwards
-acceleration is always downward and therefore negative
-acceleration due to gravity is constant

Solution:

Time of flight is ##2t##, twice time to maximum height. Maximum height is when final velocity ##v=0##.

They use the classic equation.

##v=u+at##

##v=0##, ##u=15 ms^{-1}## and gravity is ##9.8 ms^{-2}##.

##0=15+(-9.8)t##

Solving for ##t## yields ##t=1.5306##. I understand all the way up to here.

They then multiply their solution for ##t## by a factor of ##2## to get the solution. I do not understand why they do this. Why do they do this step?

Physics news on Phys.org
The time ## t = 1.5306 ## s is how long it takes the stone to reach its maximum height. The idea behind multiplying by 2 is that the whole process is symmetrical - it takes the same amount of time for the stone to fall back to the ground as it did for the stone to make the trip upward. You could divide the problem in two. The first problem would be to calculate the time for the trip up (and you have that solution already); the second problem would be to have the initial velocity be 0 and calculate the time for the velocity to reach -15 m/s. You will get ## t = 1.5306 ## s again.

Likes VKnopp
Just as an aside, there is another VERY important assumption, and one that is normally made in such introductory problems, that you have not stated, but which actually should always be stated even though it often isn't. Can you think what it is?

Geofleur said:
The time ## t = 1.5306 ## s is how long it takes the stone to reach its maximum height. The idea behind multiplying by 2 is that the whole process is symmetrical - it takes the same amount of time for the stone to fall back to the ground as it did for the stone to make the trip upward. You could divide the problem in two. The first problem would be to calculate the time for the trip up (and you have that solution already); the second problem would be to have the initial velocity be 0 and calculate the time for the velocity to reach -15 m/s. You will get ## t = 1.5306 ## s again.

Of course. I get it know, thank you very much.

phinds said:
Just as an aside, there is another VERY important assumption, and one that is normally made in such introductory problems, that you have not stated, but which actually should always be stated even though it often isn't. Can you think what it is?

Is it gravity? I should assume that gravity pulls objects down at a rate of ##9.8 ms^{-2}##.

VKnopp said:
Is it gravity? I should assume that gravity pulls objects down at a rate of ##9.8 ms^{-2}##.
But you already have the 9.8 in your stuff, so no that's not it. Think about where the rock starts its travels.

1. What is the purpose of providing an explanation for each step in a scientific experiment?

The purpose of providing an explanation for each step in a scientific experiment is to ensure that the experiment is replicable and can be understood by others. This allows for the results to be verified and for other scientists to build upon the findings.

2. How detailed should the explanation for each step be?

The level of detail in the explanation for each step will depend on the complexity of the experiment and the target audience. In general, it should be detailed enough for someone with a basic understanding of the subject to be able to follow and replicate the procedure.

3. Is it necessary to include an explanation for each step in a published research paper?

Yes, it is necessary to include an explanation for each step in a published research paper. This is to ensure that the methodology is transparent and can be evaluated by other scientists. It also allows for any potential flaws or errors in the experiment to be identified and addressed.

4. What should be included in the explanation for each step?

The explanation for each step should include a detailed description of the materials and methods used, the reasoning behind the chosen procedures, and any potential sources of error or bias. It should also include any relevant data or observations made during the step.

5. How can an explanation for each step improve the accuracy and reliability of the experiment?

An explanation for each step can improve the accuracy and reliability of the experiment by allowing for the identification and elimination of potential sources of error. It also ensures that the experiment is conducted consistently and can be replicated by others, thus increasing the reliability of the results.