1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Explanation of Formula

1. Oct 27, 2008 #1
    Can someone please explain to me in brief detail as to what each expression means for the given formula:-

and to how this formula works? It is a formula that has been given to me in order to work out time at which a waveform=V(min) for a dc smoothing circuit with a typical power supply.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A sine function oscillates between +1 and -1. Which means that the voltage you've been given oscillates between +Vmax and -Vmax. Vmax is also called the amplitude of the wave and is a measure of how "strong" this sinusoidal voltage signal is.

the sine function is a function of time, meaning that the voltage oscillates in time.

ω is the angular frequency: ω = 2πf, where f is the oscillation frequency. You can see that when t = 1/f, sin(wt) = sin(2π), and the oscillation has gone through one full cycle.
  4. Oct 31, 2008 #3
    Thank you very much, it now makes alot more sense to me.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?