Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Explanation of potential equation (caculated from charge density via PoissonEquation)

1. Jul 21, 2011 #1
    Hi,
    I'm doing MD-simulations in a capacitor-like system: 2 charged electrodes with a dense ionic liquid in between (non-diluted) with periodic boundaries in 2 dimensions (so for the electrodes I get infinite planes (xy) ,charged).

I want to get the potential [itex]U(z)[/itex] along the z-axis (witch is perpendicular to the electrodes). This is the superposition of the linear electrode pot. and the potential contribution of the ions.

So I calculate the charge density [itex]\rho(z)[/itex] and use the poisson equation [itex]\nabla^2\Psi=-\frac{\rho}{\epsilon}[/itex] to get the potential.

Now, in the http://pubs.acs.org/doi/suppl/10.1021/jp803440q/suppl_file/jp803440q_si_002.pdf" [Broken] (page 3 on top) this potential (in gaussian units) is written as [itex]\Psi(z)=-\frac{4 \pi}{\epsilon^*} \int_0^z (z-z') \rho(z')dz' [/itex]. Can someone explain/proof this expression?

Thanks,
    corro

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2011 #2
    Re: Explanation of potential equation (caculated from charge density via PoissonEquat

Ok, got think I got it now:

I calculated the charge density [itex]\rho(z)[/itex] by splitting the system in infinite sheets (or boxes in practical numerics). The surface charge on sheet [itex]n[/itex] is [itex]\sigma_n[/itex].

One sheet at position [itex]z_n[/itex] gives me the potential [itex]\Psi(z)=-\frac{4 \pi}{\epsilon^*}\sigma_n (z-z_n)[/itex].

For a continuous charge density I get the integral expression [itex]\Psi(z)=-\frac{4 \pi}{\epsilon^*} \int_0^z \rho(z') (z-z') dz' [/itex].

Correct?

4. Jul 29, 2011 #3
    Re: Explanation of potential equation (caculated from charge density via PoissonEquat

I think you certainly can do it this way, by the linearity of the electric field contributed by each layer of charge of sheet density [itex]\sigma[/itex]n(zn)=[itex]\rho[/itex](z)dz, and then sum up (integrated with respect to z) the contribution to the potential of all layer of [itex]\rho[/itex](z)dz from 0 to z.

The mathematical formality is as followed, but it is equivalent to the method you employed (if I understood you correctly as stated above), starting with Gauss's law over unit area Gaussian column extending from electrode at 0 to z,

-[itex]\epsilon[/itex][itex]\nabla[/itex][itex]\psi[/itex]=[itex]\int^{z}_{0}[/itex][itex]\rho[/itex](z[itex]^{'}[/itex])dz[itex]^{'}[/itex]
    [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{z}_{0}[/itex][itex]\nabla\psi[/itex]dz[itex]^{'}[/itex]=-[itex]\frac{1}{\epsilon}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{z}_{0}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{z^{'}}_{0}[/itex][itex]\rho[/itex](z[itex]^{''}[/itex])dz[itex]^{''}[/itex]dz[itex]^{'}[/itex]
    [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{z}_{0}[/itex]d[itex]\psi[/itex]=-[itex]\frac{1}{\epsilon}[/itex]{z[itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{z}_{0}[/itex][itex]\rho[/itex](z[itex]^{'}[/itex])dz[itex]^{'}[/itex]-[itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{z}_{0}[/itex]z[itex]^{'}[/itex][itex]\rho[/itex](z[itex]^{'}[/itex])dz[itex]^{'}[/itex]}
    [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex][itex]\psi[/itex](z)=-[itex]\frac{1}{\epsilon}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{z}_{0}[/itex](z-z[itex]^{'}[/itex])[itex]\rho[/itex](z[itex]^{'}[/itex])dz[itex]^{'}[/itex]

Note : Integrate by parts the right hand side of 2nd eqn to arrive at the 3rd eqn.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook