Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Explanations for UFOs

1. Mar 10, 2009 #1
    Is there a link to scientific Earthlight investigation? I'd be interested to read about the mechanism they think is reponsible. Is it just the reporting of Earthlights after an earthquake which is generally accepted, or is it the assumption that the lights are caused directly by the movement of the earth? This is what I have a problem with. I have seen a TV documentary concerning mystery earthquake lights in Wales(UK), where professionals investigating (i.e. policemen) reported that the lights moved as if they by their own volition. If it was a geological explanation for the earthquake lights, then one would imagine that they would be more akin to the aura borealis or northern lights. Why haven't these lights been filmed successfully, and attributed to geological activity? The eye witness accounts actually favour a crytozoological explanation of 'things with wings' which are bioluminescent. This might seem extraordinary to some, but it is a better fit of the facts than the 'natural earthlights' in my opinion. The national flag of Wales features a red dragon, after all.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2009 #2
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  4. Mar 11, 2009 #3
    Re: UFO News

Most UFO sightings are just mid identified aircraft or astronomical phenomenon but there quite a few that can not be explained. Sightings by trained observers such as Military and airline pilots of these objects performing maneuvers that are not possible by any known aircraft. They have been seen at speeds faster than any known jet and making right angle turns without even slowing down and coming to a dead stop after traveling at great speed and even reversing direction without a flinch. In my opinion the government either has some insane technology that we dont know about which they have had since the 50s or they are ET craft.

5. Mar 11, 2009 #4

I agree with this point of view, but think there is also room for something else. You have to be very open-minded to even consider the possibility of a living down-to-earth explanation for some of the (ufo) lights incidents, I admit. The funny thing is, it seems to fit extraordinarily well. Or is it just me?

6. Mar 23, 2009 #5

Pythagorean

Gold Member

before we even look at discrete objects like that, the atmosphere itself has all kinds of crazy things going on it. Scientists were skeptical about ball lightning for a long time. There could be similar (and equally rare) phenomena in the sky.

7. Mar 24, 2009 #6

I have looked at all the possible natural sky phenomena to account for reported ufo incidents. Undoubtedly they can explain some, but there is still room for a lot of other explanations. After many years of having an intense interest in the subject, I am convinced that the cryptozoological angle has potential. It's a new idea perhaps, but the more you think about the reported facts and imagine the idea of 'things with wings', the more it seems to fit. The famous Rendelsham Forest incident is a classic example which lends itself to this interpretation in my opinion. There are many more.
    Fantastically interesting article.

8. Mar 24, 2009 #7

Hello Mammo.

Please could you describe how the Rendelsham Forest incident could be explained by a cryptozoological explanation.

I've just read Ivans previous post, maybe it would be best to start a new thread.

Thanks

Jamie

9. Mar 25, 2009 #8

Hello Jamie, unfortunately that would be against PF rules. I can only hope that the idea gets included as an acceptable topic of discussion in the near future.
    A BBC Horizon programme last night "Why Can't We Predict Earthquakes?" had a section on Earthlight investigation. An independent scientist believes he has recreated the effect in the lab by crushing rock: a peizo-electric effect is produced. Also, an early photograph was shown of the lights which were a continuous white glow around the mountains. I was very impressed, and I'm now a believer in both natural Earthlights and the other explanation. BBC: Why Can't We Predict Earthquakes (move slider to 40 mins+)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  10. Mar 26, 2009 #9

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I still have a nagging question. Why would hyper advanced aliens piloting a craft across the galaxy give a hoot if primitives like us saw them hovering over an interesting neolithic mound - like new york city - in broad daylight? Why so secretive? Do we pose a threat to them? The logic escapes me. What earthly historical parallels do we have of technologically superior societies concealing their existence from 'primitives'? The 'alien' explanation for ufo's is illogical.

11. Mar 26, 2009 #10

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was brought up in East Anglia and I know that part of the country pretty well, having spent holidays and sailed off the coast in that region.

I am completely convinced that the "Rendelsham Forest Incident" is nothing but hype.

It was late at night just after Christmas, had they been celebrating?

From the Wikipedia article Rendlesham Forest incident:
    I know Ian Ridpath, we meet regularly at the Royal Astronomical Society monthly meetings, I trust his conclusions.

Garth

12. Mar 26, 2009 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since the UFO news thread had drifted so far off topic, I started a new thread and moved the posts.

13. Mar 26, 2009 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Garth, considering that the people involved saw the lighthouse every night, that explanation seems ridiculous to not only me but the alleged witnesses as well. If one is to selectively reject bit and pieces of claims that violate a personal theory, then we can just make up any explanation that we want.

If one were to try to use one coincidental timing mark to prove that ET is here, I'm sure that you would be one of the first to object.

Col. Halt spent an hour describing to me personally the events that he witnessed, and for all practical purposes, I believe him. A lighthouse and meteor didn't send shafts of light to the ground while maneuvering through the trees "as if by intelligent control".

Why would he falsify an official military report like this long before he knew that anyone else would ever know about it?

By the way, Halt doesn't believe that he saw an alien spacecraft. He has never made that claim - just another fact misrepresented by the so-called skeptics.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  14. Mar 26, 2009 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We don't discuss personal theories. If ET really is here, we have no way to judge methods or motives.

To draw conclusions based on what we do know is virtual crackpottery. Also, it is a violation of the posting guidelines to posit a theory that seeks to explain an unproven premise. If it is ever proven that ET is here, then we can discuss methods and motives.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  15. Mar 26, 2009 #14
    The voice recording of the personnel on the ground who entered the forest to investigate was very convincing of something strange going on, in my opinion.

Firstly, thanks for starting this thread Ivan. Good idea. What is the background to you interviewing Col. Halt for an hour? Sounds an interesting story.

BTW, the cryptozological 'things with wings' reports are often associated with pine trees. The inaccessibility and high nest sights I guess (if they exist).

16. Mar 27, 2009 #15

You obviously haven't seen the original 1950's (I think) footage of 'flying saucers' appearing over the Whitehouse then. It caused mass panic amongst the population. That's a logical reason why they wouldn't show themselves.

17. Mar 28, 2009 #16

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I sincerely doubt that unless you're a very ambitious astronomer and meteorologist.

18. Mar 28, 2009 #17

It was a comment meant to reflect my interest in the ufo subject (and other mysteries) for the last 25 years or so.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook