1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Explantion please

1. Oct 1, 2005 #1
    Hi,
    I need some explanation about a problem:

A heavy man stands on a ladder that is leaning against a rough-surfaced wall and rests on the ground. Dranw the free-body diagram for the system of the man and the ladder. If the ground is very smooth, the ladder may stast to slip. Why.

I need some explantions for the WHY question .

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Explanation of WHAT? Do you know what a "free-body" diagram is? Can you determine the various forces acting here? What are the forces on the man? What are the forces on the ladder?

4. Oct 1, 2005 #3
    Yes, I found the forces on the man and on the ladder.
    On the man there is only the gravity.

On the ladder, on the botton I have the reaction with the ground and a friction force directed toward the wall. On the top of the ladder, there are a reaction force coming out the wall and a vertical friction force.

I need explantion why the ladder starts to slip if the ground is very smooth.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?