1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Explicit proof of the Jacobian inverse

1. Apr 30, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given the transformations ##x^2+y^2=2*r*cos(theta)## and ##x*y=r*sin(theta)## prove the Jacobian explicitly

The question then goes on to ask how r and theta are related to the cylindrical coordinates rho and phi. I think ##r=1/2*(x^2+y^2)## and hence ##r=1/2 rho## but Im not really sure about this part I'm afraid, so haven't gotten very far

2. Relevant equations
    ##(partial(x,y)/partial(r,theta))*partial(r,theta)/partial(x,y))=1##

3. The attempt at a solution
    So by multiplying the second expression by two and then squaring both and adding we get ##r=1/2*(x^2+y^2)## from which we can find the first two elements in the second Jacobian to be x and y respectively. By dividing the two transformations we can also get an expression for theta, which is relativity simple to differentiate, however when isolating x and y I seem to be going into pages of algebra, which leads me to think I have got the wrong approach, and there must be a simpler way since this is meant to be a relatively quick question.

Many thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted