1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exploding ball

1. Oct 17, 2006 #1
    A ball, initially at rest at the coordinate origin, explodes into three equal pieces. After explosion, one piece moves along x-axis with velocity VX1 = 4.00 m/s and another piece move with velocity: VX2 = 3.83 m/s and VY2 = 9.07 m/s. What are the velocity components for the third piece?

This confuses me because I am unsure of what direction the third piece would travel after the explosion. It could go into second quadrant and have an negative x component; it could go into the third quadrant and have both negative x and y components.

How do I begin this problem?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

Hint 1 -- they said "three equal pieces", by which you can assume equal mass.

Hint 2 -- Use conservation of linear momentum in 3 dimensions. What was the net linear momentum in each of the 3 coordinates before the explosion?
  4. Oct 17, 2006 #3
    since v=0, then initial momentum of the three coordinates = 0.

Knowing this, what step should I take next? I can't seem to think outside the box on this one...
  5. Oct 17, 2006 #4

Staff: Mentor

Good, and since p and v are vectors in 3-space, you can write the 3 sums for the 3 coordinate axes and set them equal to zero, right? That should give you the answers you need.
  6. Oct 17, 2006 #5
    thanks a lot@!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?