Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exploding glass of sodaa

1. Aug 17, 2006 #1
    This is my first time posting and need your opinions to help ease my wife's anxiety on a strange happening this morning. She went to bed last night, brought up a glass of soda, drank half of it and placed the half full glass next to the bed on the night stand. The alarm clock went off this morning, which is near where the glass of soda is. She hit the snooze button and about 2-3 minutes later the glass "exploded". All was shattered ,but the bottom of the glass was in tact. She swears she never even touched the glass this morning. Any answers on why this might of happened?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2006 #2

Danger

Gold Member

My first thought is that there was an imperfection in the glass to begin with, such as uneven thickness, and a particlar sound from the radio set up a sympathetic vibration which initiated a crack. If the temperature of the pop increased, liquid in the crack might have expanded and thus wedged it open completely. It's hard to figure much farther than that without knowing what kind of glass it was, what temperature (ice or no), and what sort of racket the radio kicked up.

edit: I always use a clock radio for the alarm, but of course I meant whatever kind you have.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  4. Aug 18, 2006 #3
    I think it has something to do with resonance.But no sures though..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?