1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exploding Integrand

1. Jul 3, 2007 #1
    I'm trying to put together an acoustic scattering simulation program using the T-matrix method. To keep things simple initially I'm just modeling scattering from rigid 2-D cylinders in an inviscid medium. My problem is that I'm a newb with respect to Bessel functions and can't get a particular integral to behave well. As briefly as possible, I need to evaluate the following surface integral over an ellipse:
    [tex]Q_{nm}=\int_S\hat{n}\cdot(\nabla\phi_n(r))\;Re\phi_m(r)\;dS[/tex],
    where the indices range from 0 up to 10 or higher, depending on scatterer size. The even-parity cylindrical basis functions are

[tex]\phi_n(r)=H_n(kr)\cos n\theta[/tex]

where [tex]H_n(kr)[/tex] are Hankel functions of the first kind and [tex]Re\phi_n(r)[/tex] are the real part of the basis functions. My problem shows up when I take the inner product with the surface normal using cylindrical coordinates. Since the angular component of the gradient is complex valued, the cylindrical inner product [tex]r_1r_2\cos(\theta_1-\theta_2)[/tex] attains very large values (NaNs in floating point) for [tex]kr < n, m < n[/tex]. In this particular problem, I have

[tex]\theta_1 = -\frac{n}{r}(J_n(kr)+iN_n(kr))J_m(kr)\sin n\theta\cos m\theta[/tex].

I can't see a way around this yet, and it's driving me crazy. T-matrix methods have been around for a few decades now so I know they work, I just can't get past this obstacle. Hopefully I'm missing something simple.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted