Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exploding Integrand

1. Jul 3, 2007 #1
    I'm trying to put together an acoustic scattering simulation program using the T-matrix method. To keep things simple initially I'm just modeling scattering from rigid 2-D cylinders in an inviscid medium. My problem is that I'm a newb with respect to Bessel functions and can't get a particular integral to behave well. As briefly as possible, I need to evaluate the following surface integral over an ellipse:
    [tex]Q_{nm}=\int_S\hat{n}\cdot(\nabla\phi_n(r))\;Re\phi_m(r)\;dS[/tex],
    where the indices range from 0 up to 10 or higher, depending on scatterer size. The even-parity cylindrical basis functions are

[tex]\phi_n(r)=H_n(kr)\cos n\theta[/tex]

where [tex]H_n(kr)[/tex] are Hankel functions of the first kind and [tex]Re\phi_n(r)[/tex] are the real part of the basis functions. My problem shows up when I take the inner product with the surface normal using cylindrical coordinates. Since the angular component of the gradient is complex valued, the cylindrical inner product [tex]r_1r_2\cos(\theta_1-\theta_2)[/tex] attains very large values (NaNs in floating point) for [tex]kr < n, m < n[/tex]. In this particular problem, I have

[tex]\theta_1 = -\frac{n}{r}(J_n(kr)+iN_n(kr))J_m(kr)\sin n\theta\cos m\theta[/tex].

I can't see a way around this yet, and it's driving me crazy. T-matrix methods have been around for a few decades now so I know they work, I just can't get past this obstacle. Hopefully I'm missing something simple.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted