1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exploding Object

1. Oct 21, 2007 #1
    A 45.0-kg body is moving in the direction of the positive x axis with a speed of 217 m/s when, owing to an internal explosion, it breaks into three pieces. One part, whose mass is 6.0 kg, moves away from the point of explosion with a speed of 349 m/s along the positive y axis. A second fragment, whose mass is 2.5 kg, moves away from the point of explosion with a speed of 346 m/s along the negative x axis. What is the speed of the third fragment? Ignore effects due to gravity.

I noticed right away that there might be components, so I came up with this:

X direction: 45*217=2.5*-346+36.5x x=291.23
    Y direction: 45*217=6.0*349+36.5y y=210.15

then i plugged those two values into the pythagorean theorem. I get 359.14 m/s, however the computer says I'm wrong. Could someone help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2007 #2

hage567

Homework Helper

If the object is initially moving in the x direction only, the initial momentum in the y direction is zero since there is no component of velocity in that direction.

4. Oct 21, 2007 #3
    whoops, thanks

296.82 m/s is what the corrected formula yielded.

The second part to the question is How much energy is released in the explosion? What is that exactly?

5. Oct 21, 2007 #4

hage567

Homework Helper

I would calculate the difference between the initial kinetic energy of the large mass, and the total kinetic energy of the three fragments after the explosion.

6. Oct 21, 2007 #5
    okay, cool

i go the right answer: 1.06x10^6 J

I was just confused about how I should treat it since it broke apart. This problem was surprisingly easy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?