What is the speed of the third fragment in an exploding object problem?

• Thread starter SnowOwl18
  • Start date
In summary, an internal explosion breaks a 21.0 kg body into three pieces, one of which moves away with a speed of 428 m/s along the positive y axis, another with a speed of 483 m/s along the negative x axis, and the third with a speed of 744.45 m/s along the positive x axis.
SnowOwl18
Alrighty, here is a problem I am stuck on.

----A 21.0-kg body is moving in the direction of the positive x-axis with a speed of 274 m/s when, owing to an internal explosion, it breaks into three pieces. One part, whose mass is 7.5 kg, moves away from the point of explosion with a speed of 428 m/s along the positive y axis. A second fragment, whose mass is 3.5 kg, moves away from the point of explosion with a speed of 483 m/s along the negative x axis. What is the speed of the third fragment? Ignore effects due to gravity.-----

Ok...so the momentum in the postive x direction before the explosion was p=mv...or 21x274= 5754 kg*m/s...i think the y direction is irrelevant in the problem, since momentum in the x-axis is conserved...so assuming that, i do the equation 3.5kg x (-483 m/s) + 10kg x V3 = 5754 kg*m/s...the 2nd fragment's velocity is negative because it goes along the negative x axis...and the third fragment's mass is 10kg because 21-7.5-3.5 = 10kg. Anyway, I solved for the third fragment's velocity (V3) and got an answer of 744.45 m/s...but the computer program says I'm wrong. Does anyone know what I'm doing incorrectly? And if so, how do I go about the problem the correct way? Thanks so much. :D

Physics news on Phys.org
The momentum in the y-direction is definitely relevant; it is to be zero before and after the explosion..

hmm..I'm not sure how to incorporate that though. I can find the velocity of the 3rd fragment in the y direction...(7.5 x 428) + 10x = 0...and I get -321 m/s. So...if I have the speed in the x component (744.45m/s) and in the y component (-321m/s)...how I do I find the fragment's speed? I'm not sure what I should be doing with that... :/

ohhh...duh. I'm so dumb today. I just figured it out...do it like a triangle...744.45^2 + (-)321^2 = V^2...ha. Thanks a bunch!

1. What is the "Exploding Object problem"?

The "Exploding Object problem" is a scientific phenomenon where an object, typically a gas or liquid, suddenly and violently expands, causing it to burst or explode. This can occur due to various reasons such as excessive heat or pressure build-up.

2. What causes an object to explode?

An object can explode due to various factors such as a rapid increase in temperature, a sudden release of pressure, or a chemical reaction. These factors can cause the molecules in the object to move and vibrate at a higher rate, ultimately leading to an explosion.

3. Is the "Exploding Object problem" dangerous?

Yes, the "Exploding Object problem" can be dangerous as it can cause harm to people and property. It is essential to handle objects that are prone to exploding with caution and follow proper safety protocols to prevent any accidents.

4. Can the "Exploding Object problem" be predicted?

In most cases, the "Exploding Object problem" can be predicted by understanding the properties of the object and its surroundings. By analyzing factors such as temperature, pressure, and chemical composition, scientists can forecast potential explosions and take appropriate precautions.

5. How can the "Exploding Object problem" be prevented?

The "Exploding Object problem" can be prevented by following proper safety protocols and guidelines while handling objects that are prone to explosion. This includes maintaining safe temperatures and pressures, using appropriate protective equipment, and avoiding any potential triggers for an explosion.