Explorer-1 tipped over, but Euler equation doesn't agree

In summary, the conversation discusses the Euler equations and how they can be used to determine the stability of a rotating body. It also mentions the case of Explorer-1, but explains that other forces could have played a role in its instability and that the previous result still applies.
harmyder
[tex]\dot{\boldsymbol{H}} = \dot{\omega} + \boldsymbol{\omega}\times\boldsymbol H[/tex]
Suppose body's got an impulse and 's started to rotate about its principle axis, say z, No more external moment from this time.
So, Euler equations become
[tex]0 = I_{xx}\dot{\omega}_x − (I_{yy} − I_{zz}) \omega_y \omega_z[/tex]
[tex]0 = I_{xx}\dot{\omega}_y − (I_{yy} − I_{zz}) \omega_z \omega_x[/tex]
[tex]0 = I_{xx}\dot{\omega}_z − (I_{yy} − I_{zz}) \omega_x \omega_y[/tex]

Suppose small rotation was imparted along another axis z or y in such a way that [itex]\omega_z >> \omega_x, \omega_z >> \omega_y.[/itex]

From differential equation we can get, we conclude that a body rotating about an axis where the moment of inertia is intermediate between the other two inertias, is unstable.

But, Explorer-1 was rotation about its longest axis - the one with smallest inertia, and tipped over due to internal forces, so rotation about axis with smallest inertia moment is unstable. Doesn't that contradict to the previous result?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, it does not contradict the previous result. It is important to note that Explorer-1 was not an isolated system, and so other forces such as gravity, air resistance, and internal forces were acting on it. These forces could have caused the instability of the rotation. Additionally, even if the body was rotating about its axis with the smallest moment of inertia, if the angular velocity in any direction was much greater than the others, then the differential equation would still predict an unstable rotation.

1. Why did Explorer-1 tip over?

The exact reason for Explorer-1 tipping over is not known for certain, but it is believed to be due to a mechanical failure or instability in the rocket's design.

2. How do we know that Euler equation doesn't agree with Explorer-1 tipping over?

The Euler equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the rotation of an object. In the case of Explorer-1 tipping over, it is believed that the Euler equation does not accurately predict the movement of the rocket due to external factors such as wind or an uneven distribution of weight.

3. Can we use the Euler equation to explain all cases of tipping over in space exploration?

No, the Euler equation is not the only factor that affects the stability and movement of objects in space. Other factors such as external forces and mechanical failures can also play a role in tipping over.

4. What impact does Explorer-1 tipping over have on future space exploration?

The tipping over of Explorer-1 served as a lesson for future space exploration missions to consider potential mechanical failures and external forces in their designs. It also highlighted the importance of accurately predicting and accounting for these factors in order to ensure the success of future missions.

5. Are there any other equations or theories that can accurately predict tipping over in space exploration?

While the Euler equation is a commonly used formula, there are other mathematical models and theories that can also be used to predict and explain tipping over in space exploration. These include the Navier-Stokes equation and theories related to fluid mechanics and aerodynamics.