Exploring a Career in Biomathematics/Biostatistics

• Programs
  • Thread starter AryaUnderfoot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Career
In summary, the speaker is a recent graduate with a major in aquatic biology and a minor in computer science. They discovered during their degree and internship that they are more interested in the theoretical aspect of biology, specifically math modelling for wildlife conservation. They are considering pursuing a career in biomathematics or biostatistics, but are unsure of the necessary steps to catch up in their understanding of mathematics. They are seeking advice on which field would be a better fit for them, and suggest asking their internship supervisor for guidance.
AryaUnderfoot
Hi! I'm a recent graduate who majored in aquatic biology and minored in computer science. During my degree and an internship, I found out that the practical parts of biology does not quite appeal to me, but when I was briefly introduced to the more theoretical aspect, math modelling for wildlife conservation, it gave me the idea that I could be a biomathematician or a biostatistician, even though I'm not entirely sure what's it's all about. I loved maths in high school, especially calculus. But since I chose biology over maths in university, I haven't got the chance to further my understanding in the field. Hence the concerns: what can I do to catch up? Which is the wiser choice for someone like me, mathematical biology or statiscial ecology?

Thanks in advance for your advices!

Physics news on Phys.org
You might start by looking up what the requirements are to get into either program at the graduate level, and then work backwards. If you haven't taken any mathematics since high school, you might want to start there with a few university courses - introduction to statistics and maybe a mathematical modelling course. Once you have those under your belt, you'll be in a better position to decide whether the work that you'll need to do to get from where you're at to where you think you want to me is a journey worth taking.

Likes member 428835 and AryaUnderfoot
Are you in a position to ask your supervisor during your internship regarding your future plans. He or she might be enthusiastic, in that recent turn towards the field that was the focus of your internship. Offhand, it seems like statistical ecology ming the closer to wildlife conservation, but I do not know the fields well. I am sure intern supervisor or mentor is closer to the scene of the action.

1. What is biomathematics/biostatistics?

Biomathematics/biostatistics is an interdisciplinary field that combines principles of biology, mathematics, and statistics to study and analyze biological data. It involves using mathematical and statistical models to understand and solve problems in biology, medicine, and public health.

2. What are the career opportunities in biomathematics/biostatistics?

There are various career opportunities in biomathematics/biostatistics, including working as a biostatistician, bioinformatician, data scientist, or research analyst in industries such as pharmaceuticals, healthcare, and government agencies. These roles involve using mathematical and statistical methods to analyze biological data and make informed decisions.

3. What skills are required for a career in biomathematics/biostatistics?

Some essential skills for a career in biomathematics/biostatistics include strong mathematical and statistical abilities, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, proficiency in programming languages such as R or Python, and knowledge of biology and/or medicine. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important for collaborating with other scientists and presenting findings.

4. What education and training is needed for a career in biomathematics/biostatistics?

Most careers in biomathematics/biostatistics require a minimum of a bachelor's degree in mathematics, statistics, biology, or a related field. However, many positions may require a master's or doctoral degree for more advanced research and leadership roles. Additional training and experience in programming, data analysis, and biological concepts are also beneficial.

5. What are some current applications of biomathematics/biostatistics?

Biomathematics/biostatistics has a wide range of applications, including analyzing clinical trial data to evaluate the effectiveness of new treatments, developing mathematical models to understand the spread of diseases, and using statistical methods to identify genetic risk factors for diseases. It is also used in fields such as ecology, agriculture, and environmental science to study and manage biological systems.