1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exploring a function f(x) with absolute value

1. Jan 27, 2009 #1
    when i am exploring a function eg. f(x)=|2x-6|

can i treat it as two seperate function all the way through, one to the left of x=3 and one to the right, and only at the very end, when i draw the graph connect them, ie draw a graph according to all the values i found from each side? will this work whenever i have absolute value of a basic polynom, should this always come out as a mirror image?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes. You won't have to connect them at the end, since the two halves will already be connected at x = 3.
    Yes, if you mean the mirror image across the x-axis. Take for example the function g(x) = |x^2 - 2x|. For x < 0 or x > 2, the graph looks exactly like that of the parabola y = x^2 - 2x. However, for 0 < x < 2, the portion of the graph of the parabola that lies below the x-axis is relected across it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?