Exploring "Baby" Books in Different Fields

• Other
  • Thread starter Demystifier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books Fields
In summary, when the same author(s) write two books on the same topic, with one book being more elementary and less advanced than the other, then this more elementary book is called "baby". Some well-known examples include "baby Rudin" for mathematical analysis and "baby Reif" for statistical physics. Other examples include "baby Huang" and "baby Morin" for mechanics, "baby McDuff-Salamon" for symplectic topology, "baby Hastie" for machine learning, and "baby Hecht" for optics. There are also "baby" versions of textbooks in general chemistry and abstract algebra. Staying open to playing with ideas and puzzles is important for mathematicians, as demonstrated by books
Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
When the same author(s) write two books on the same topic, with one book being more elementary and less advanced than the other, then this more elementary book is called "baby". A well known example is baby Rudin for mathematical analysis. Another example is baby Reif for statistical physics. Do you know other examples?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mmmm, I thought this topic would fullfill my 8 months old daughter's curiosity about general relativity.

• Haha
Likes yucheng, ChemAir, Wrichik Basu and 2 others
Serge Lang, an extremely prolific writer of math textbooks, wrote baby versions for mathematical analysis, algebra and linear algebra. (He's so prolific that there is a joke that Bourbaki stopped writing books when they learned that Lang is a single person.)

• Haha
Likes yucheng, vanhees71, Frabjous and 2 others
Doesn't quite work because the first one isn't a full textbook, but because I (semi) use both, I refer to them as such:

Baby Morin:
Problems and Solutions in Introductory Mechanics

Adult Morin:
Introduction to Classical Mechanics: With Problems and Solutions

Baby McDuff-Salamon: Introduction to Symplectic Topology
Adult McDuff-Salamon: J-Holomorphic Curves and Symplectic Topology

I wonder if there is a baby Jackson's electrodynamics somewhere.

Not sure if they count: Charles Kittel Solid State Physics and Quantum Theory of Solids

Likes Dr Transport and Demystifier
andresB said:
I wonder if there is a baby Jackson's electrodynamics somewhere.
There's ELECTRO_MAGNETISM.
banner2021.png

https://csferrie.com/books/

caz said:
Not sure if they count: Charles Kittel Solid State Physics and Quantum Theory of Solids
I think that's a great example. :smile:

Likes vanhees71
Demystifier said:
When the same author(s) write two books on the same topic, with one book being more elementary and less advanced than the other, then this more elementary book is called "baby". A well known example is baby Rudin for mathematical analysis. Another example is baby Reif for statistical physics. Do you know other examples?
Yes, Edwin E. Moise : Geometry. There is also Elementary Geometry From An Advance Standpoint By him. The first is an excellent book aimed at high schoolers. The "Elementary Geometry" is for a a undergrad math student.

My example below doesn't quite work because the adult version has two authors, while the baby version only has one author.

Concepts of Elementary Particle Physics by Peskin.
An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory by Peskin and Schroeder.

Likes Mondayman and Demystifier
George Jones said:
Elementary Particle Physics
We need: "Elementary Elementary Particle Physics".

• Haha
Likes vanhees71, Demystifier and George Jones
Keith_McClary said:
We need: "Elementary Elementary Particle Physics".
Martinus Veltman's Facts and Mysteries in Elementary Particle Physics is also really good.

Likes vanhees71
Hecht wrote a baby Hecht as well as a large adult baby Hecht.

Likes Demystifier
AndreasC said:
Hecht wrote a baby Hecht as well as a large adult baby Hecht.
Optics, yes.

Well Herstein wrote a baby version of his 'Topics in Algebra'

Linus Pauling wrote a chemistry text for undergraduates who are not majoring in chemistry entitled _College Chemistry_ (and I _really_ wish I had this book when I was in high school).

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13433096-college-chemistryHe also wrote a (sort of) companion book entitled _General Chemistry_ which is a bit more advanced and in depth. It is oriented towards undergraduates who are or are intending to major in Chemistry.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1081360.General_Chemistry

Full text:
https://archive.org/details/dli.ernet.448871

Likes Demystifier
Falgun said:
Well Herstein wrote a baby version of his 'Topics in Algebra'
Is it called "Abstract Algebra"?

Yes

Likes Demystifier
Ganesh Mammu said:
Papa version:-
In this case the opposite of baby is adult, not papa. :smile:

• Haha
Likes Mr.Husky
Don't forget for being a good mathematician you have to stay a bit like a child! :smile:

• Wow
Likes Mr.Husky and Demystifier
vanhees71 said:
Don't forget for being a good mathematician you have to stay a bit like a child! :smile:
Why? In what sense?

Likes Mr.Husky
Demystifier said:
In this case the opposite of baby is adult, not papa.
Baby Bruckner couple.
Adult Bruckner couple😅🤣

• Haha
Likes Demystifier
Demystifier said:
Why? In what sense?
It was meant as a joke. If you know enough mathematicians you know what I mean, but maybe it's even some deeper truth in it, because you have to be open to just play around with ideas and puzzles. It's precisely what's killed when thinking math were like it is presented by Bourbaki. Bourbaki presents the final state of a mathematical subject but doesn't tell you anything about how you get there. In this sense it's like a very good encyclopedia to look up mathematical facts but a lousy textbook, because it's not telling you how in fact to do math.

• Informative
Likes hutchphd, sysprog, Mr.Husky and 1 other person
Likes Demystifier
vanhees71 said:
It was meant as a joke. If you know enough mathematicians you know what I mean, but maybe it's even some deeper truth in it, because you have to be open to just play around with ideas and puzzles. It's precisely what's killed when thinking math were like it is presented by Bourbaki. Bourbaki presents the final state of a mathematical subject but doesn't tell you anything about how you get there. In this sense it's like a very good encyclopedia to look up mathematical facts but a lousy textbook, because it's not telling you how in fact to do math.
Nicolas Bourbaki is a pseudonym that is referential to a group of math guys, including Henri Cartan and André Weil ##-## it's math written by commitee, wherefore it's not as apt to show the individual journey by which the author arrived at a conclusion ##-## please imagine what might have happened to Newton's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Method_of_Fluxionshttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Method_of_Fluxions if he had closely collaborated with Leibniz on single variable calculus . . .

Sure. I don't critizize the great work by the Bourbaki group but I don't recommend to take these books (and similar textbooks written in this style) as textbooks.

I guess Newton and Leibniz wouldn't have been able to write a coauthored book at all. I'd rather guess one would have rather murdered the other. I'm not sure, whether the two arch enemies ever met in person ;-)).

Likes Demystifier and sysprog

1. What is the purpose of exploring "baby" books in different fields?

The purpose of exploring "baby" books in different fields is to understand the impact of these books on early childhood development and learning. By studying these books in various fields such as psychology, education, and linguistics, we can gain a better understanding of how they influence cognitive, social, and emotional development in infants and young children.

2. What are some common themes found in "baby" books across different fields?

Some common themes found in "baby" books across different fields include early language development, social interaction, and emotional regulation. These books often use simple and repetitive language, colorful illustrations, and relatable characters to engage and educate young children.

3. How do "baby" books impact a child's cognitive development?

"Baby" books can impact a child's cognitive development by stimulating their curiosity, imagination, and problem-solving skills. These books often introduce new concepts, vocabulary, and ideas, which can help children build their knowledge and understanding of the world around them.

4. Are there any potential negative effects of "baby" books?

While "baby" books can have many positive effects on a child's development, there are some potential negative effects to consider. These include promoting gender stereotypes, limiting diversity and representation, and creating unrealistic expectations for children.

5. How can "baby" books be used in educational settings?

"Baby" books can be used in educational settings to support early literacy skills, promote social and emotional development, and encourage critical thinking. Teachers can use these books as a tool for introducing new concepts, facilitating discussions, and fostering a love for reading and learning in young children.