Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exploring black Holes - intro to GR 2nd edition drafts online

1. Nov 6, 2008 #1
    The first edition for this book was a nice primer to GR for ppl like me who are far from mastering the advanced math required to in deep understanding of GR.

Prof. Edwin F. Taylor now has a drop site for electronic drafts of the second edition of the book, improved and updated with new material. You can find the material at:

and also, a "reviewer briefing" here:

I personally have enjoyed the 1st edition tremendously.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2008 #2

Science Advisor

Thank you! The tips for writing were entertaining!

And Taylor's "ReadingMemos" was very good:

We dance 'round in a ring and suppose,
    But the secret sits in the middle and knows - Robert Frost

The student sits in the middle. The student knows. Why not ask, then learn ourselves - from the only person who can teach us?
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  4. Nov 13, 2008 #3
    The link to the draft version seems to be dead now. Has it been closed? Is the second edition ready for publication?
  5. Nov 13, 2008 #4
    Nope, it aint closed.

Probably it was just a transitory downtime, or you had some routing issues.

6. Nov 13, 2008 #5
    I just tried it again and I am still having "issues" i.e a blank page and a "waiting for http..." message. It has been a couple of days now that I get no response. Is there an alternative link or a dowloadable file somewhere?
  7. Nov 13, 2008 #6

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just tried DanP's links, and, for me, they work.
  8. Nov 13, 2008 #7
    hmmmm... works for for everyone but me then :frown:

... must be a conspiracy

tried deleting all inernet history and cookies..that didn't work either..
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  9. Nov 13, 2008 #8

Science Advisor

I could just see the links, but not download the files. It finally worked with "DownThemAll".
  10. Nov 13, 2008 #9
    Strange thing is that I could see the site about a week ago on this same PC.

I will have to go to an internet cafe in dark glasses, hat and gloves and sign in anonymously.
  11. Nov 13, 2008 #10
    Do you want the files relayed somehow to you ? PM if interested
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?