Exploring Bulk Modulus: Examining Caesium and Beyond

In summary, the conversation discusses the bulk modulus of a substance and the confusion surrounding its definition. It is clarified that the correct formula is the rate of fractional change in volume with pressure, not the change of volume with pressure. The conversation also mentions the behavior of gases and the proper solution to the differential equation for the bulk modulus. It is concluded that no matter how high the pressure is, the volume of the substance will never be squeezed to zero.
Fitz Watson
Today, while studying about bulk Modulus, I encountered a doubt. Please consider this thought experiment.

I'm considering Caesium as an example as it seems to have a quite low Bulk Modulus (comparatively) of 1.6 GPa.
Let's say I apply a pressure of X GPa.
Volume change ratio can be given by X/1.6

What happens if I increase X to more than 1.6 GPa? Practically speaking, its impossible to have Volume change ratio of > 1. So, where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Fitz Watson said:
What happens if I increase X to more than 1.6 GPa?
Of course you can't expect to squeeze the sample down to nothing. :wink:
The expression for Bulk Modulus K is not what you are implying though. Bulk modulus is useful for describing the behaviour of solids and liquids.
e782c2d3008ff51d03795ad928b9c6b1b1f99515

Is the way it's defined - in terms of the rate of fractional change in volume with pressure and not the change of volume with pressure. Does that help with your confusion?
Gases follow the 'Gas Laws' because there is a lot of space between the molecules so Boyle's Law PV=Constant can be used over a huge range of pressures and volumes.

sophiecentaur said:
Of course you can't expect to squeeze the sample down to nothing. :wink:
The expression for Bulk Modulus K is not what you are implying though. Bulk modulus is useful for describing the behaviour of solids and liquids.
e782c2d3008ff51d03795ad928b9c6b1b1f99515

Is the way it's defined - in terms of the rate of fractional change in volume with pressure and not the change of volume with pressure. Does that help with your confusion?
Gases follow the 'Gas Laws' because there is a lot of space between the molecules so Boyle's Law PV=Constant can be used over a huge range of pressures and volumes.

Is this formula wrong?
Bulk Modulus = Pressure/Volume Strain?
I haven't gone into the differential form of it yet, so that's why I'm using this one

If you apply the nominal 1.6 GPa pressure, you'll compress the substance by a factor of e. To make a long story short, that's because ##\lim_{n \to \infty}(1-\frac{1}{n})^n## = 1/e.

Last edited:
Likes sophiecentaur
Fitz Watson said:
Is this formula wrong?
I don't recognise it. You yourself have pointed out a problem with it as it suggests that you could crush a sample out of existence. As @jbriggs444 points out, the proper formula is consistent with experience - always a good thing. :wink:

If one assumes that the bulk compressibility is approximately constant, then the solution to the (correct) differential equation posted by @sophiecentaur in post #4 is not $$V=V_0\left[1-\frac{P}{K}\right]$$The correct solution to this equation is $$V=V_0\exp{\left(-\frac{P}{K}\right)}$$So, no matter how high P gets, V never goes to zero.

Likes sophiecentaur and jbriggs444

1. What is bulk modulus and why is it important in materials science?

Bulk modulus is a measure of a material's resistance to compression. It is important in materials science because it helps us understand how materials behave under pressure and how they respond to changes in volume.

2. How is bulk modulus determined experimentally?

Bulk modulus can be determined experimentally by subjecting a material to different levels of pressure and measuring the corresponding changes in volume. This data can then be used to calculate the bulk modulus using the equation K = -V(dP/dV), where K is bulk modulus, V is volume, and (dP/dV) is the change in pressure over the change in volume.

3. What is the relationship between bulk modulus and density?

There is an inverse relationship between bulk modulus and density. This means that as the density of a material increases, its bulk modulus decreases. This is because denser materials are more resistant to changes in volume.

4. How does caesium compare to other elements in terms of bulk modulus?

Caesium has a relatively low bulk modulus compared to other elements. It is less compressible than gases, but more compressible than most solids. For example, caesium has a bulk modulus of 1.7 GPa, while diamond has a bulk modulus of 442 GPa.

5. How can understanding bulk modulus help in the development of new materials?

Understanding bulk modulus can help in the development of new materials by allowing scientists to predict how a material will behave under different levels of pressure. This information can be used to design materials that are more resistant to compression, making them useful for applications in industries such as aerospace and construction.